chapter nine

CHAPTER SEVEN━ PURPLE FACES ━

CHAPTER SEVEN
PURPLE FACES

I'M NOT ALLOWED IN THE ATTIC OR BASEMENT.

EUNHA FOCUS

Birds sang outside as normal. Two grown adults and a young girl sat inside the living room waiting for the arrival of their new guest. The child played on the floor while the couple sat on the couch, watching TV.

"Mommy! Can I have ice cream after dinner?" Eunha asked her mother kindly, shaking the end of her shirt in an attempt to get her attention.

The grown woman looked down at her daughter, pigtails sitting on the top of the five-year-olds head as she waited patiently for a response.

She looked away from Eunha and up to her husband who just shrugged, leaving the decision-making to his wife.

She scoffed playfully at him and looked down at Eunha, griping her arms as she pulled the girl into her lap. "How about we make a deal?"

Eunha tilted her head, interested in her mother's words.

"If you can be a good girl for the babysitter, I will give you ice cream when Mommy and Daddy get home. Deal?"

Eunha nodded happily, "deal."

Another half an hour passed before their front doors doorbell rang, echoing loudly through the small house.

"Soojin, thanks for coming over. Please, make yourself at home." Eunha's mother smiled, opening the door widely for the teenage girl to walk inside.

She did so, walking inside the house. Eunha's father stood, leaving the young girl sitting on the couch by herself while he and his wife began speaking to Soojin.

They went over a few rules and warnings, told Soojin a few things here and there about Eunha, and then soon enough they were ready to walk out the front door.

The two parents quickly went over to their daughter first, taking turns to hug her tightly and give her kisses on her cheeks.

"We love you, Eunha. Be good for Soojin!"

"I love you too, Mommy and Daddy!" The girl giggled happily, waving at them as they left the house.

She went over to the window that faced the driveway and moved the curtain and blinds in her way, watching her parents get inside their car.

They were leaving for a date night. Something they hadn't had since Eunha was born. She was their priority once her mother gave birth and thus, neither of her parents had time for anything except to take care of the intelligent girl or work.

Both parents worked Monday through Friday and then had the weekends off. Eunha's mother worked from 7 AM to 5 PM while her father worked from 8 PM to 4 AM. They didn't always have the most time to be together but they made it work.