There was no way I'd make it over that thing with my suit still intact.

I had, in fact, elected to wear a suit to a cursed swamp, and I was aware it probably wasn't the most optimal choice of clothes. But what else could I do? This was my work outfit, and I hadn't realized how little casual clothing I owned until I had to search my closet for some. So I'd donned the oldest, most expendable suit I had and rolled with it. If I was going to die in this place, which wasn't unlikely, I refused to do so while wearing ugly sweatpants and the T-shirt I slept in. I had dignity.

"You know," I panted when I reached the top of the fence, salty drops of sweat trickling down my forehead, "you'd think the municipality would do more to restrict access to this place. I'd have electrified the fence if it were up to me."

Isla was faster than I was. She jumped off the fence when she was close enough to the ground, boots landing in the mud with a sickening squelch. "Good thing it's not up to you, then. It would be a waste of time and money."

I began my descent down the fence without looking down, but not before accidentally ripping my sleeve on it. Ugh. The suit was my least favourite, but damaging it still sent a twinge of pain through my heart. "How so?"

Though I couldn't see Isla's face, the annoyed undertone in her reply made me think she was giving me the most intense, judgmental stare she had. "The place is cursed, remember? First thing they teach you about cursed places in the army is that electricity doesn't work there. No Wi-Fi or data connections either, for that matter. You can kiss pretty much all technology goodbye."

"So if we get in trouble, we won't be able to contact anyone to come help us?" I was happy to feel solid ground beneath my feet again, but as I flexed my fingers, I realised the fence we'd scaled truly cut us off from the outside world I knew and loved. I gazed through the diamond pattern of the steel wire, studied the green pastures with the rustling grass and the empty, quiet road leading home I'd left behind. Would I ever see all that again?

"Not a single soul." Isla's sceptic gaze crept lower and lower until it rested on my right wrist. Or rather: the device I wore there. "So I don't see why you're suddenly wearing a watch. An... expensive watch, at that. It's useless."

I shrugged, a small grin tugging at my lips. "I have an aesthetic to uphold. It makes me look cooler."

Isla's eyes narrowed. "It doesn't. And that's not all there is to it, huh? I've never seen you wear that watch, or any watch at all. Why start wearing a fancy one now?"

The watch in question hadn't cost me a penny, but I was certain the man I'd stolen it from had spent a large sum on the gadget. Not only because it was a pretty little thing, a pleasant shade of black mixed with dark blue resting comfortably on your bare skin, but also because it was special. If the watch had been able to speak, it would have been proud to announce it wasn't like other girls.

"M'lady, you told me I needed to fetch you a sunken necklace. I'm disappointed you thought I'd come completely unprepared." I couldn't keep the hint of smugness out of my voice, happy as I was to have the upper hand in a conversation for once. "This isn't a regular watch, so it'll work regardless of the curse put on this wretched place. It's enchanted, runs on magic."

Silence. The lack of chirping crickets to accentuate it disappointed me, but I couldn't have all my wishes granted.

"You... might want to explain to me how you came to own a goddamn enchanted watch. Last time I checked, you weren't a multimillionaire." Isla's voice was tainted by suspicion while she eyed the gadget, as if trying to assess its value. Envy coloured her face, and if I had to hazard a guess, she was thinking about the debt I owed her, considering if she could get away with confiscating this possession of mine.