family

notes: hi baes sorry it took me like...
two months but here we are!!

"(name), i have something to ask you," sakusa stated out of nowhere. you turned to him, who's dark hair swooped over his eyes as he stared at his book without expression, and you wondered if he was angry with you...although you hadn't done anything wrong. it had been a glorious summer day, one in which you had spent your day in the sun with alissa and then returning home at dusk to kiyoomi in all his quiet glory, you very tired and very sunburned.

"what's up?" you prodded, slathering after-sun care all over your shoulders and arms.

"can we get a dog?" he asked, looking up to gaze at you in curiosity, only to find that you were already locking eyes with him. you have him a sweet smile and nodded.

"i never thought i'd hear those words come from your mouth~" you teased, and he gave you the look, "of course we can! we can go looking tomorrow if you want."

"okay." he finished and sat back against the bed's headboard after setting his book down on the nightstand.

"can i ask what made you want one so suddenly?" you questioned, crawling over to sakusa underneath the covers. his strong arms gripped and pulled you closer, so much so that you were completely laying face-down on top of him. his voice was deep and rumbly, almost a tired kind of raspy as he spoke, sending chills over your bones.

"i think if we get one, when one or the other of us is busy it'll help the place not to be so lonely." you smiled at him again, staring at sakusa as if he was a work of art, as if he was every single star in the night sky. it didn't take much, but with everything he did you felt your heart fluttering.

"do you have anything in mind?"

"just not a tiny rat dog, please." he mumbled, beginning to close his tired eyes. you chuckled, running your fingers along his jawline as he sighed, and soon enough his breathing slowed and his face relaxed. breathing slow enough that you knew he was asleep.

you began to imagine a dog running around your apartment, jumping on the counters, sleeping at the foot of the bed, laying by the television on a boring day indoors. in your head you began to create a new version of homeliness with sakusa, one that you could only dream of when you were younger. now that it was real, you felt another jitter of excitement that only kiyoomi could induce, and you knew that he was just as excited (if not more) than you were.

so, naturally, when you woke the the next morning, he was hasty, eager even. he began his routine way earlier than normally scheduled, was walking faster around the flat just to get himself ready, and even went as far as to wake you up, something he almost never did.

"why are you freaking out about this, kiyo?" you yelled at sakusa from the bathroom, who was pacing around the kitchen waiting for you.

"i'm not, but i want to go as early as possible." he said, making you hum in understanding. tons of people gathering to look at animals might not have seemed so appealing to him. however you attempted to speed up and get ready for your day and as soon as sakusa saw you walk out of the bedroom, he immediately sped over to the door, holding it open and walking frustratedly behind you to the car.

"you never act like this," you noted as he shut the driver side door, "are you actually this excited for a dog?"

"i've wanted one since we got out of college," he said, "kageyama-san said dogs wouldn't like me at practice last summer." you chuckled, looking towards the road ahead as sakusa spoke again. "which is weird because he thinks they don't like him either."