III. After the Turning

Evangeline's POV

Smiling like a chesire cat, i ran through the woods, in a hurry to get home.

Oh, the King would be so angry!

Adrian's expression was imprinted into my mind and a girlish giggle bubbled out of my mouth.

When was the last time i had had so much fun? Five years ago. A long time ago. When i was a naive little swan.

Uncounsiously my hand went to my pendant and started to play with it, twirling the intricately designed masterpiece and watching it capture the moonlight, and reflect off blood red kaleidoscopic designs across my chest.

What powers the stone possessed even King Arachneal didn't know completely. Nor did he know the origin of such magic. A stone which intensified desires. A stone which could grant wishes. A truly marvelous discovery. It's secret had to be hidden from the power seeking and the evil hearted.

Tucking it back between the top of my dress, and letting it fall between my breasts, i tried to hide the stone from predatory eyes and continued down the familiar path.

The trees swayed slightly in the evening breeze, gently swishing and calming my thoughts from their speculating frenzy. With time the stone's secrets would be revealed. What was i so worried about. Time would tell.

My thoughts drifted back to a rather arrogant blue eyed boy. Remembering times gone by and the current encounter i breathed a sigh of exasperation. How much time had passed. Slowly treading through the forest now, as there was no use in hurrying if i was already late, i let my thoughts drift again.

Ugh! My stupid cheeks. Giving me away. What made me into such a blubbering fool? I did blush at his remarks but that was my body's involuntary response to his brashness. That guy was so arrogant, he felt that he could conquer all women's hearts.

Somewhere i felt a prickle of jealously at the thought of him with other women. I pushed such useless thoughts away.

Who was i to decide who he spent his time with. He was handsome and he knew how to use it to his advantage.But the effort he put into seduction was rather cute, but annoying at the same time.

Sighing loudly and dismissing any thoughts related to Prince Charming(sarcasm to be noted) , i noticed the trees open into the clearing, which i knew was invisible to mortals.

I made my way across the grassy meadow, admiring the way all the leaves rustled together in the breeze, all in a single direction. The uniformity of the rustling leaves could be compared to a thousand tiny blades readied for battle, all marching in one direction. The meadow dipped into a small and closed off valley. I trekked down the rocky trail seeing smoke in the distance.

The villa came into view, my home. The house in which i had been taught everything of human behaviour and ettiquette. The house where magic was second nature. The house where my new life had begun.

I walked towards the back of the house where i knew Anna was cooking in the kitchen. My stomach grumbled at the thought of her mouth watering meals. I walked to the low window and crossing my arms, rested my head on my arms, on the ledge and peered inside.

The smell of freshly baked bread wafted through the air and my mouth watered at the thought of the soft and light dough and the amazing golden brown crust. I closed my eyes relishing the visual imagery when someone came and pinched my nose.

"Hey, why'd you do that Hans? It hurt." I said my eyes fluttering open.

"Because you were drooling. And it looked disgusting and unappetising." Hans said defending himself. He picked up a piece of the freshly baked bread and took a huge bite, "Yuuuummmm....soooo deeeliciioouus...."