IV. The Ugly Duckling

Side Story {I} : An Account of The Past

The ugly duckling awoke to the sound of a girl singing. Her melodious voice wafting through the air as she stood on the low bridge over the lake. The duckling wondered what it would be like to be human, to voice your thoughts into words, to be able to live an exciting life of wonders and adventures and to fall in love.

The ugly duckling watched the girl from behind the tall grass. The girl suddenly turned around when interupted by a hand on her shoulder and jumped into the arms of her lover and kissed him, content with the satisfaction of being held in his arms.

The ugly duckling sighed and waded through the water to it's mother and brothers and sisters. The mother duck said, "You poor excuse of a duck, where were you ? We have to catch the rest of the flock or we'll be left behind. Winter is to arrive soon and the lakes will harden. Make haste and follow the good examples of your brothers and sisters." The ugly duckling compiled and obediently followed.

But somewhere in the distance a hunter was camoflagued and disguised waiting patiently for the day's hunting turnout. Unmoving, he noticed a large collection of water fowl ready to take to the sky. He readied his hunting rifle and took careful aim and waited.

The birds rose in unison and moved upwards but so unsuspecting were they of their audience that they did not know how to react to the loud sound of a fired bullet when it went and hit their leader, plummeting it to the ground. Due sheer panic they scattered, and in frenzy lost their direction.

The hunter took a few more shots before getting up to retrive his prizes.

Now the ugly duckling in all this frenzy flew a little too far away from the flock and lost it way. Its little wings could not carry its weight and it went downwards.

The two princes of the land just small boys then were sitting at the edge of the lake, giggling together, happy to be away from the rush and pamperings in the palace, and they suddenly jumped when they heard a loud splash to their left. Intriguied both the princes got up and went to investigate.

In the water they found a small grey creature, cold and shivering from fright. The prince with blonde hair and striking ocean blue eyes, looked up at his brother and questioned him, "Daniel, what is it? What should we do?" The more daring brother, with striking green eyes and dark hair, unanswering, picked it up and cradling it in his tiny yet kind hands, cleaned it with his hankerchief, wraped it in his thick woollen scarf and tried to warm it up. In very soothing tones he hushed the little swan to sleep. He turned to his brother, smiling said,"Lets take it home. We'll take care of it".

When the duckling awoke she was surprised by the warmth around her. She snuggled closer to the source only to hear the gleeful laughter of a ticklish ten year old. Shocked she pushed herself away and stared into the big and excited eyes of the most beautiful boy she had ever seen. His trustworthy green eyes held nothing but joy at the fact that his new friend was awake.

He lifted his hand to stroke her head but being defensive she let out an indignant squawk. He laughed and just put his hand out in front of her giving her the choice to approach.

After great deliberation she decided it was safe and climbed onto his hand. His other hand came up and stroked her head affectionately.

Her body pulsated with happiness and long gone were the memories of her mother and cruel brothers and sisters.

The door of the prince's room opened with a loud 'thud' and in stauntered another nearly identical looking boy, the only difference were his blue eyes and blonde hair. Surprise washed over his face and he exclaimed rather angrily, "Daniel, why did you not tell me that the bird was awake. I would have come sooner. Give her to me. I want to keep it."

"No Adrian, i picked it up and nursed it back to health while you went off to play. It even likes me! I want to keep it." shouted Daniel back at his brother.

Behind the fair haired prince stood a tall and domineering woman, dressed in silken gowns of heavy embroidary. She spoke rather calmly and said," Sons, you must not fight over such petty issuses. Brothers do not fight. Daniel get up and go and do something useful and don't play around with such trivial things. Adrian take the bird and go back to your studies. It is imperititive you learn about state affairs."

"And Daniel, if Adrian says he saw it first then let him keep it. He is anyway doing a better job at his studies and is acting the way a prince should. So i'll give it to him as a present for doing so well. Go ahead, my Darling take the bird and go back to your room and finish your studying. " said the Queen ushering her favorite son out of the room.

Adrian unsure and guilty, feeling sad for his brother, turned around and stuttering said, "...but...but Mother i can share...."

"No you can't and will not. And that is final. Take the bird and return to your room."

Adrian walked out obediently with the bird in hand, but at the last moment glanced back at his brother's crestfallen face. He felt a pang of guilt but the look on his mother's face made him quicken his pace.

As soon as the other prince was out of earshot the Queen turned towards her second son and said to him, "Do well to remember that Adrian is the Crown Prince. Understand this once and for all, son. Adrian needs to act like a king as he will become one someday and your influence on him is quite degrading. He is starting to behave more and more irresponsibly."

The Queen inched closer and and knelt in front of her son reaching his eye level, looked straight into his eyes, with a silencing look and said," From today onwards, Daniel you will not meet with your brother, you will never enter his room and play with him, you will give him whatever he wants and in front of society you will act like an ideal and supportive brother. That bird is his and you will not try to take it away from him. Do you understand me."

Daniel turned his downcast eyes up towards his mother's stern face and whispered in a defeated voice, " Yes, Mother".

Satisfied the Queen stood and walked to the door. She stopped at the door and glanced back at the son she detested and said "Good, now remember what i told you and be a good boy. You both have an important role in the future." And with that she walked out of the room her long dress trailing behind her, leaving a rather heartbroken and hurt Daniel alone in his room.

Daniel turned around and walked to his bed. Laying on top he cried his heart out , repeating again and again, " Its not fair. I picked her up first."

That was the last day Adrian saw his brother, Daniel. But between his tiring and busy schedule he soon forgot about his brotherly friendship.

The duckling not knowing and understanding much of what had happened soon came to believe that Adrian was the one she liked and soon too like her master forgot about her kind and benevolant saviour.