Always | Levi x Reader

Start from the beginning

"That's what?"

Despite his calm and even tone, on the inside Levi was panicking. Had he stepped over the line? Scenarios as to what you would say flashed though his mind- instances from you agreeing to you arguing more went though his mind and stopped as you started to speak.

"I can't be with someone who refuses to listen. I can't date someone thinks it's okay to order me around. And I can't love someone who treats me like a toy."

Levi's heart froze. All his years in the underground struggling to stay afloat- often being left stranded in the cold- could not have prepared him for how he felt. His breathing stopped. His limbs locked. His head began to drown. The world felt cold, cold and dark.

No. No no no please no. Anything but that. I'm sorry. Please stay. I won't do it again I promise. Please just... don't leave. His brain swelled with the inner dialogue. His heart sending frantic signals to his brain. Though the latter could do nothing. It sputtered like an old engine, either refusing or unable to work properly.

"Well I can't be with someone who doesn't think of how their actions affect me. How rude do you have to be to think only of yourself?"

What? What am I thinking? She's the most kind and selfless person i've ever known!

Levi's heart continued to scream at him as he rethought about what he said. Guilt immediately overtook his face as he reached out to grab your arm. He needed to fix things and quickly. His fingertips brushed your forearm but didn't have the chance to wrap around before you moved out of his grasp.

Registering that he hadn't gotten anything, he tried again. This time he went to walk forward to get you in reach. Though the usually graceful captain was now replaced with a frantic Levi and in his haste, his foot caught on something. He fell forward and didn't have time to save himself as he hit the unforgiving ground on his knees and forearms. His head barely evaded the ground as he broke down. You were long out the door though.

He was alone.

Tears and silent wails of pain left the crumbling man. His forehead fell to the ground, he welcomed the feeling of both pain and relief as he didn't struggle to keep his head up. The pain in his skull felt right. He deserved it. He had tried so hard. Lost so many. The thought of you doing the same and leaving killed him internally. Though, despite you still being alive, he did lose you. Not to a titan or ODM Gear malfunction like he had predicted many times before.

This almost felt worse. He had lost you because of himself. He was to blame. Not some mindless titan or broken piece of metal, no- he was solely at fault. The irony was almost hilarious. In an effort to make sure he never lost you, he had ended up driving you away.

He didn't know how much time had passed.
an hour? 2 maybe 3? The only noticeable difference to Levi was that he was absolutely depleted of energy and the sun had set long ago.

His knees protested as he finally stood up. His face felt swollen and his brain muddy. He desperately needed sleep yet the only task he could even think of doing was finding you. His feet stumbled and tripped constantly at the stares he was getting. Levi couldn't care less though, he had made it to your door. That's all he cared about.

He knocked softly, hearing some ruffling on the other side before the door slowly opened a crack, your right eye only able to be seen because of light from the hallway. As soon as you saw Levi, your muscles jerked to close the door as quickly as possible. Seeing as it was only opened a crack, Levi was unable to use his foot to stop it. Thinking quickly he shoved his fingers in, not worrying to notice the pain as he opened it up. You took multiple steps back, spacing yourself from him while he entered. Levi's glossy hair could barely be seen in the dark, his body appearing more slumped and uniform in more of a disarrayed state than usual.