Chapter 7: Time Of Blissful Days

Start from the beginning

"Is something wrong?" Kana asks, both staring at the male, and he quickly shakes his head.

"Nah, I'm just real excited about the parade. Let's all have a great time together."

If he can't say anything then the best option is to ensure she relaxes and has some fun tonight.

"Come on, we need to hurry and find a good spot to watch from!" Saelufu takes the lead as the two stick close behind her.

Despite such a crowd, the trio manages to squeeze forward getting a front-row view of the galore. At the cue of loud trumpets, several decorated stages begin to gradually come down the road. Each one being pulled by numerous horses all gathered up for this very event. The first stage holds people dressed elegantly from head to toe, and a circus act follows next dancing through dangerous flames. Every stage has a unique theme making it quite different from the previous. Forever an amazing sight to see for older residents and newcomers alike.

"The circus act can't ever be topped! Those guys manage to take the risk up a notch year after year," Saelufu says, her hazel eyes not leaving the flipping jesters.

"That's cool but I personally love the candy wagon as my favorite. They even toss out free bags to children while riding by." Kana glances at the male beside her. "What about you, Frederick? This is pretty neat, right?"

"I think it's outstandin! We've never had any celebrations remotely similar where I lived back in Narrok. You get to experience this magic once a year," he responds, hoping he isn't overdoing his reaction.

"The parade is popular but it was nowhere near this large of a turnout last year. I think people wanted to celebrate the war finally at an end. Times like these in particular have made the earlier suffering feel so far away." Kana glances at the joyous crowd behind them with a warm smile. Though her words cause his stomach to turn, reminding him their relief is only temporary. The prince shakes away such depressing thoughts and refocuses on the road.

Once the numerous stages have passed, the final most anticipated finisher remains. Everyone looks toward the castle in the distance and fireworks now light up the dark skies. These colorful explosions are created by alchemists: People who use resources to make special concoctions that aren't for medical purposes. They always launch them where the royal household can get the best viewing. A typical closing note for the parade and their show is bright as ever.

"Thought it was over, did you? The fireworks are the main reason I refuse to skip this parade. Awesome no matter how many times I've seen it," Saelufu says, as they gaze up at the magnificent explosions that continue to burst.

Even if the prince has witnessed this since a young boy it never seems to lose that spark. His mind drifts back to fonder memories when he, his father, and Wendy would watch from alongside the castle balcony. Regardless of how busy of a schedule, the late king always spent it with them in high spirits. It was a special tradition that was never once broken until tonight.

I guess it's still hard to accept the fact that he truly is gone...

Against his will the prince's ocean eyes get misty, seeming to grab both girls' attention. Naturally, the two express their concerns as Wendell is quick in yanking the tip of his hat down. He needs to get his emotions under control, not being the time or place for a breakdown.

"I-I'm fine really! Something was just in my eyes is all! You girls worry too much!"

"Are you sure that's it?" Kana gently presses, and after rubbing any tears threatening to spill, the prince looks up with a forced grin.

"...Yeah, guess I couldn't handle the brightness of the fireworks. Sorry if I worried y'all for a second there."

Saelufu bites her lip at his excuse not saying a word. Perhaps catching unto why he got emotional but can't mention it in Kana's presence. As for the brunette, her emerald eyes also hold a certain sadness.