Chapter 10.

[Final Chapter!]
After the first hour or so, Keith learned to ignore the glares people aimed at him when they saw him. And he ignored the comments about how irresponsible he was, like always.

He was able to tolerate that, especially considering that they had no evidence to suggest he was a different person yet. But they didn't seem to be keen on noticing how different Keith was.

He was lucky a good chunk of the comments were questions about if that even was Keith. Or why he looked the way he did. Primarily the students and staff were baffled that aliens existed in the first place, and that they had unknowingly considered an alien one of their peers. Begrudgingly, at least.

What Keith didn't tolerate well, however, was how people were more harsh with Pidge. Questioning her intelligence and suggesting that she might have lost her mind. Even though the situation was on both of them.

For some, strange reason, the people who judged Keith and Pidge for what happened only seemed to think that there was one, singular person to blame. Instead of it being a mistake made by two people.

Those in the academy weren't as harsh when they noticed how well Keith appeared to be doing, and how responsible he was acting in terms of the situation he was in. But there were still a plenty of his former peers who were stubborn, and still convinced that he was the same rebellious, trouble-maker as he was before he left earth six years prior.

Keith didn't like how easily he got used to it. He did consider it a normal part of life before he joined Voltron. It only said how often he was treated like that before he was flown off into a war.

Pidge eventually went to him, and looked at him sheepishly. And avoiding the attention of those who were whispering about them. Several still saw and stared, however.

Pidge: Hey, my mom kinda wants to meet you...? And Marco of course?

Keith's face went a little hot with anxiety. But he followed Pidge into a room where Colleen was.

It was awkward for a couple moments, with Keith figuring out the best way to start the conversation. Only managing to spout the type of thing that they all heard on a daily basis.

Keith: Hi, Mrs Holt.

To their immediate relief, instead of judgement or any premeditated ideas about who he was, Colleen looked at him with some curiosity. But overall, she came off as being incredibly welcoming to Keith. More than everyone else, anyway.

Mrs Holt: Hello. You're the Red Paladin, I assume? From your armor?

Keith nodded.

Keith: Yes. I also used to be in the Garrison at one point. I got expelled, though.

Colleen snorted. Breaking Keith's nervousness of gushing too much at once.

Mrs Holt: Don't worry about me judging you. I was starting to think the stories of people who failed in school going on to be incredible people were false. Most of them are, actually. But now I have a real life example. So thank you.

Pidge giggled, Keith relaxed enough to laugh as well.

Mrs Holt: So, Katie told me about the general nonsense. But how did you both meet each other?

Keith spoke up.

Keith: Well, from my perspective, Shiro crash landed on earth with a robotic arm. I went in to rescue him, then Lance, Hunk, and Pidge followed me because Lance wanted to one-up me or something. Then all of us were crammed on my motorcycle to get away from the people who wanted to keep Shiro there. We stayed at my house for a night. Then we went out because Katie was getting signals. Found the signals, Lance triggered a Lion, then we were in space, followed by galra, and found the castle ship because Blue was on autopilot.

Mrs Holt laughed at the nonsense of it.

Mrs Holt: Why would Lance try to one-up you? Oh, wait. Were you the rival Katie said he was gushing about constantly? Does he still do that?

Keith shrugged.

Keith: To an extent, yes. And Lance considered is rivals, I didn't. I kinda saw Lance treating the thing like a rivalry and I just thought he had some inferiority complex if he wanted a rival so bad.

Mrs Holt tilted her head. Looking closely at Keith's stripes.

Mrs Holt: You said 'galra' as well. Are they a species of alien you encountered?

Pidge nodded.

Pidge: Yeah. They're normally known as the Galran Empire. But the Emperor, Zarkon, was the one who started the war. We defeated him after a while, though. So by the time all this happened, we were just kinda hanging out and helping when there was cause to. We aren't necessarily needed anymore. Not as much as when we fought Zarkon and Lotor.

Mrs Holt hummed, looking at Keith. Who replied a little too quickly.

Keith: That's the species I am, actually. But I didn't know until I joined Voltron. For some reason I couldn't access that gene, so I found out when I talked to this rebel group about a knife my mom gave me when I was born.

Colleen looked down at Marco.

Mrs Holt: So, when did that happen?

Keith's face reddened.

Keith: Katie and me kinda got married? In galra terms, at least? Then the team found out I was galra, so they kicked me out.

Pidge: Then I found out about Marco and ran because I was scared they'd hurt him as well for being galran. I kept moving from planet to planet to avoid them since they were looking for me. Then I actually had Marco, I finally saw Keith again. And we moved around together until we got here.

Mrs Holt blinked, but smiled.

Mrs Holt: Well, I hope you're able to stay here.

Pidge: So do we.

Mrs Holt looked at Marco.

Mrs Holt: May I see him?

Keith nodded. Handing Marco to her to hold.

Mrs Holt: Well, you will both need to give me a couple hours to get the house cleaned up for you to stay.

Pidge blinked.

Pidge: Stay? At your house?

Mrs Holt nodded.

Mrs Holt: Of course! Until you both find a place to be independent, at least. Last time you were on earth you were teenagers! I can't just toss you out to figure it out with Marco like that.

Keith smiled gratefully.

Keith: Thank you so much, Mrs Holt.

Colleen waved it off.

Mrs Holt: No need to be formal. From now on you can call me Colleen.