10 | her number

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 10

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄CHAPTER 10

"Let's talk." Cora said, drawing her lower lip between her teeth nervously.

With my hand still in hers - she hadn't made a move to remove it which I was taking as a good sign - we walked back into the cafe.

Turning my head to briefly glance out of the windows, I was met with identical expressions.

I had told Danny about Cora back when I only knew her as candyfloss, and I reckoned that Lucy had a similar conversation with her.

I guessed they were beginning to put two and two together if their open mouths were anything to go by.

Instead of focusing on the recognition that had begun to dawn on their faces, I brought my attention back onto Cora, who I could see wringing her hands together from the corner of my eye.

"So..." she started awkwardly.

"Why did you leave me that night?" I asked, too wound up to avoid the question any longer.

"Uh..." Her sentence trailed off and her eyes darted away from my face. "I panicked."

"Why?" I probed.

"You seem like trouble." She said. "That's the last thing I need right now."

"Trouble?" I repeated slowly, humour finding its way into my voice. "What if I told you that I was actually a model citizen?"

She rolled her eyes playfully. "Still a no."

"Your best friend is dating my best friend." I reminded her.

"You need to get used to seeing me around, candyfloss. And we might as well get to know each other."

Her nose scrunched up in confusion. "You know my real name now. Why are you still calling me that?"

The corners of my mouth curved up. "You're still candyfloss to me, gorgeous. I just have something else to call you on the side."

Her cheeks warmed, giving the golden brown skin on her face a subtle red undertone.

When she moved to cover those cheeks with her hands, I had to resist the urge to take a photo.

"As for the part about getting to know each other, what do you want to know?" She asked, smoothly changing the subject.

I paused for a moment, thinking. "Danny told me that Lucy is a waitress at this cafe. Do you work here too?"

She nodded her head. "Yeah I do. In fact, we usually have our shifts together. But this isn't my only job."

"Yeah?" I asked, curiosity piqued.