13 | the brick wall

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 13

I watched in amusement as Cora's mouth dropped open slightly

"You want me to play basketball with you?" She repeated slowly, the tone of her voice displaying her confusion.

I nodded, the corners of my mouth twitching. "That's the plan."

The confusion that had been clouding her features gave way to a new emotion, one that had her eyes blazing with determination and brows drawing together.

"Okay then. Prepare to get your ass kicked." She said, completely flooring me when she finished with a confident smile.

I mirrored her earlier reaction, my mouth dropping open slightly at how sudden the change in her attitude was.

Damn. My girl was competitive.

I ignored the voice planting seeds of doubt in mind, wielding negativity and scepticism instead of a spade and shears.

She's not your girl. She would need to be willing to date you for that to happen.

Instead I turned her words over in my head, letting a wide grin slide into place.

Whether she knew it or not, agreeing to play my sport with me meant that she was willing to get to know me better.

"Someone's cocky." I said, teasing her lightly.

"Nope. Just sure of myself." She said with a shrug and a smile that concealed secrets - the ones that I had a feeling were the reason for her sky high defences.

My eyebrows raised. "You might change your mind after getting onto the court with me, gorgeous."

Her lips quirked up at the corners in a way that told me she was resisting the urge to burst out laughing. "Who's the cocky one now?"

I winked, doing my utmost to keep my eyes on her face and stop them from straying to her choice of outfit for the night.

I lost the battle with myself, finding my gaze level with the green material.

My eyes trailed a path around her body, noticing the way her dress moulded perfectly around her and the soft curve of her hips.

If I stared any longer there was no guarantee that my self control wouldn't dwindle completely, so I abruptly changed my view back to her face.