10.

When I wake up the next morning, Dan is no longer next to me in his bed. I get up, adjusting my clothes and hair. I hear quiet noises coming from the kitchen. The closer I get, I realize it's just Dan and Phil talking.

"You need to tell her, Dan."

"I know, I know. I was going to do it this morning."

Curiosity sparks my interest. I sneak closer, trying to catch more bits of their conversation.

"Okay, so do it."

"Please help me tell her."

"Okay."

"Shh, I think she's coming," Dan whispers to Phil.

I saunter into the room, acting as if I heard nothing. There's a fresh pot of coffee sitting on the counter. I pour myself a cup and sit down next to Dan. Phil is sitting directly across from Dan, making it feel as if I'm left off to the side.

"Dan needs to tell you something," Phil abruptly speaks.

I figured as much, based on what I heard of them talking.

I turn to him, waiting for him to speak. He sits silently for a moment. His arms are stretched out on the table in front of him, as he fiddles with his fingers.

"Veronica is pregnant," he says, sounding terrified.

I shrug, "Okay? Why are you telling me? That skank can worry about herself-"

"Dan," Phil cuts me off, "is the father..."

Suddenly, everything clicks in my mind.

Oh. That's why he was telling me.

"Well, you're joking right? Surely she can't actually be pregnant," I laugh, thinking it is a joke.

"Yeah.... I wish. She's definitely pregnant," Dan informs me.

"Okay," I say slowly. "Is she going to have an abortion?"

Dan shakes his head. I sigh, feeling a dull ache in my chest.

"I think I'm going to leave... You've obviously got a lot to think about..." I mutter, getting up and heading back into Dan's room to change into my clothes.

He follows me, shutting the bedroom door behind him.

"I understand if you don't want to see me anymore," he whispers.

I shake my head, disagreeing as I pull my shirt back on over my head.

I'm not exactly shy about my body, so changing in front of Dan doesn't really bother me in the least.

"It's just kind of overwhelming, you know?" I pause, "well, obviously you do know, it is your child after all."

He nods a little and sits down on the bed. Dan calmly places his fingers in his lap and fiddles with them a little bit. He takes a quick, sharp intake of breath before looking up at me whilst I wiggle my pants back on.

"Is this considered cheating?" he laughs a little, trying to lighten the mood.

"What? That you have a girlfriend and a girl that you got pregnant?" I ask, not finding the humour in the situation.

He notices that I'm not amused and quietly apologizes.

"I think we should maybe take a break from each other," he says, very slowly.

I look up at him in disbelief, "are you serious? You got another girl pregnant, and you want to take a break?"

He furrows his eyebrows, "no, no that's not what I mean. Well, that is what I mean but-"