"Swear jar?" I ask. Since when do they have a swear jar?

"We started a swear jar when you were in a coma," Rosa explains. "We've made $421!"

"Coma?" I ask. "I was in a coma?!"

"Yeah for seventeen days," Eli answers as she walks towards my bed and sits on the corner. With the very little light shining off the machines, I can tell she has been crying, her eyes are rimmed with red and puffy and the black circles under her eyes tell me she is exhausted. "The doctor will explain it better, but you broke seven ribs, three punctured your lung, you broke your arm in four places, you have a major concussion and you're lucky you don't have brain damage or worse dead."

I didn't know what to say to this because where I am lucky to be alive and only have minor injuries the love of my life is lying dead in a heap of ashes under a ton of rubble in Russia. So all I say is, "I'm sorry I woke you guys up." Eliana shakes her head in dismissal. Hmm, that's new never thought I get dismissed by a kid-well teenager, but still.

"So...this swear jar," I start. "Does that mean you have to put money in because you said not one but two naughty words on Halloween?" I look at Sky as she blushes in embarrassment.

"No, Daddy, I had a valid reason to curse." She defends. Why are all these kids so damn smart? I know I did not say the word valid at six years old.

"There is always a valid reason to curse, just not when you're six," I say sternly. At this point, Georgia and Kaden had woken up and were listening to our conversation. As I get a better look at my kids, my sister, and my nephew I notice all of their eyes are red and puffy. So they all know.

Of course, they know, idiota. It's been three weeks.

"You guys should go home and get some real sleep in real beds," I say.

"Okay, bye Fratello," Rosa says before she hops down from my bed and walks out the door as we watch her with stunned expressions.

What the hell is up with her?

"Bye, Daddy." Sky kisses my cheek. "I promise I'll visit first thing in the morning."

"Bye, Cutie. Get some sleep." I ruffle her hair.

"Do they know?" I ask once she leaves. All three teenagers nod.

"We were watching and listening to the whole mission so we know what really happened, but they don't. Sky doesn't blame you and we tried to explain to Rosa that it wasn't your fault, but she blames you for and I quote 'Her favorite person's death.'" Eliana explains.

"Of course she does, it's Rosa. Go and get some sleep." I say. "Kaden stay back I need to talk to you." Eliana spares a glance at Kaden before she and Georgia exit the room.

I wait until I know they're completely out of earshot before I ask what I wanted to ask. "Are you and my daughter having sex?" Kaden's eyes pop out of his skull and a blush overtakes his face.

"N-no, what no!" He says incredulously. "She's fourteen and I know about her past s-so I wouldn't do that with her. I-I mean shit that came out wrong. I meant I respect her boundaries and if she tells me to stop I'll stop. We've never done anything more than make out, Sir."

"Sir?" I quirk a brow.

"Well, what else do you call your girlfriends father?"

"Girlfriend, you two are dating?"

"Sort of, I want to ask her to be my girlfriend, but I don't want to push her into anything she's not ready for."

"Well I respect that and I'm glad to hear it even though this is weird for me considering she's my adoptive daughter and you're my nephew."

"Sweet Home Alabama, right?" he says earning a chuckle from me.

"You have my blessing, but hurt her and I'll kill you, nephew or not."

"With all due respect, si-Tio." He rubs his neck sheepishly. "I'm more afraid of what she'd do to me if I hurt her over you. She was trained by my Tia after all." (Tio=Uncle, Tia=Aunt)

"Good point," I chuckle, wincing at the pain that shoots through my side.

"When you two do it," I wince. "Use protection, please. I'm too young to be a grandpa."

"Tio," He starts. "She can't even make babies yet." And with that, he slips out of the room.

I wish Kingston was here to have that conversation she would have handled that so much better.

Kingston...I wish you weren't so damn stubborn.

I love you, always and forever, even in hell, especially in hell.

🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕

I felt like that was kind of shitty but I am not good with emotional stuff so this is the best it's going to get.
SC🖤