Chapter.1

Letting Go

Chapter.1

In a typical beginning of a story about a young girls life she talks about herself. Her name, her school, her boyfriend, or even a description of what she looks like... In my story, it all starts in 11th grade American Literature. 

Mrs. Presley, my English teacher, is reading Romeo and Juliet to the class. She stops briefly every five minutes because none of my class mates are paying attention. Spoiler alert, we all know this tragedy ends in a tragedy!

'And but thou love me, let them find me here.' Mrs. Presley reenacts dramatically. If she hadn't decided to go into education, I would say her chances of being successful on Broadway were pretty high. 

"That could have been us... you know, Romeo and Juliet?" I hear a familiar deep voice say behind me. I turn my head slightly to see my ex-boyfriend Jamison staring down at me. Jamison and I dated for 2 years. You know those disgusting relationships where the all-star of the sports teams and the girl who was too stupid to realize she was being cheated on were a 'happy hallway couple!' Well, that was us... and if you didn't understand that, just know I'm stupid girl #1!

"Yeah, I could have been, but I don't think Romeo cheated on Juliet with a random girl at a party." I say back to him through gritted teeth.

Jamison grins and at lets out a low laugh. "Well, Romeo didn't have to go looking for another women because Juliet put out for him." 

 A small laugh comes from the corner of the room and I look at his best friend Keegan.  Keegan, the other half to Jamison's ego. They both rule the school together and are the captains of pretty much every sport here. What did Keegan do to me? Well, let's just say things didn't work out well between he and my best friend Chloe.  

"Romeo also didn't tell Juliet that she was boring and not that pretty too look at. That's probably why he got laid." My best friend Chloe says loud enough for both Jamison and Keegan to hear and I let out a laugh.

"Collins, Jamison, and Chloe. Is there a problem?" My English teacher stops reading to ask us. 

"Yes Mrs. Presley, I was defending Collins. You see, Jamison here thought that it would be OK for him to decide what Collins should do with her body. When in reality, it's her choice. If I am to be honest, which I always am, I think that this could tie in with our lesson today. We remember that men, like Juliets father, do not get to decide what path women take in life! I think that Juliet was built up as a character to seem powerless, but in the end she held all the cards in this story. " Chloe says loudly. I know what she was doing. She was being Chloe and getting us out of trouble. 

"Mrs. Presley! I would never tell a women what to do... You should know better than anyone that I love this story and I was just sitting here soaking up every word you said." Jamison says with a smirk. How disgusting. 

Mrs. Presley stands in her place for a few seconds just blinking and staring at Jamison. "What line are we at?" 

Jamison stares at the page trying to find our place, but considering he has distracted us for 13 lines, he will just be shooting his shot in the dark. 

After ten seconds, Mrs. Presley sighs, "Jamison, get out of my classroom." 

"C'mon Mrs. Presley, I was just telling Collins that we could have been like Romeo and Juliet if she would give another chance!" Jamison says. 

I roll my eyes and Mrs. Presley takes notice. "Mhm. I'm sure that's why Miss. Asper looks so intrigued... Get out." She says and I smile at her.

"Seriously?" Jamison says rudely and everyone looks at him scared to know what comes next.