Chapter 1

(Seraphina POV)

It was going to be a surprise visit, John was supposed to have no idea that I was coming.

I was gonna show up surprise him, and then crash at his place, maybe go out for a drink with him.

So when I had been peacefully playing angry pigs sitting on John's front porch.

The loud crash of a bag smashing into the ground averted my attention, and then I noticed John.

The blood covering his forehead and his arms, the small trickles of blood from the corner of his mouth.

And the scratches everywhere across the rest of his body. What did he do this time?

"John!" I called, snapping my phone off and lifting myself to my feet.

He kept limping over, and he managed to manage out, "Sera..?"

I grinned, "Long time no see."

He started to say something, probably along the lines of 'What are you doing here?'

But he collapsed to his knees, and I felt myself lurch forward straight to his side.

I placed my hands on his shoulder, "What happened to you?"

He hesitated for a moment, his face leaning forward bound to fall into my chest.

I could see tears begin to develop at the corner of his eyes.

"Please don't.." He started out, and I looked at his crestfallen face.

His bushy usually gelled raven hair bushily blocking my view from his face.

"Please don't look at me." He managed out through his gasps and tears.

I could feel my face form into a frown, 'Don't look at me?' John is never like that, no matter how many times he gets pummeled into the ground.

The John I know had been strong and confident all his life, the arrogant stuck up confidence even throughout being a cripple.

But right now, the tears shedding from his eyes and silently sliding onto the pavement. He looked so broken.

Broken into a thousand pieces.

"Come on. Let's get you inside." I said as I grabbed his sleeve gingerly and lifted him to his feet.

What the hell happened when I was gone?

I managed the door open, and I brought my suitcase inside along with the crippled figure of John.

"I'm gonna get you some water, sit tight." I said as I laid him against his couch.

His house was just how I had remembered, the comforting empty space with John just resting peacefully.

I led myself over to the kitchen, and took my phone out of my pocket.

I dialed the only person who I certainly needed.

Elaine.

She answered almost immediately, and confirmed that she was coming as soon as possible.

Well that's reassuring. I sighed in relief as I slid up against the side of John's kitchen wall.

I quickly grabbed a cup from his cupboard and pulled out the ice tray from his fridge as I whipped up a cool glass of ice water.

On my way over I may have taken a couple of sips. I'm thirsty, gimme a break.

I rested the glass on the side of his neck, if he won't talk, I'll just have to make him talk.

"Holy Shit! That's cold!" He yelled out in a near high pitched scream, and I stifled my grin to focus on the important matters.