"No! I'm not involved with her! Why would you think that? And I'm sorry, I didn't know-" He began but I cut him off with a sigh of relief. 

"I just thought you were since... I overheard you talking about someone being in town and then trying to get her to run off with you. I thought that you knew she was my mate, but you wanted her..." I trailed off realizing how stupid I sounded. 

He looked away. "I wasn't talking about you... it was someone else we were talking about." 

"Jared?" I said casually and his head jerked up.  

"How did you know?" He asked. 

"He was the one I saved her from at the club, not to mention all the rumors going around about her and this guy named Jared."  

He nodded. "I'm sorry Preston I didn't know. But if you're looking to get answers I can't help you. It's not my story to tell." 

I nodded leaning back and looking at the ceiling. "I know, and I didn't mean for it to sound like I was digging into her past. I know she's complicated and it's going to take some time for her to come around. I just... it's killing me not knowing you know?" He nodded. "I just want to help her so bad, and it's so obvious she's been damaged before." I trailed off my mind going back to our talk. 

"She's working on it you know?" He said making me look over at him. "To trust you I mean. I haven't seen her like this in so long since.... She's just happier, either from feeling the bond with you, or from something else. She's finally moving on and I can tell it has something to do with you."  

"I'm doing all that I can to gain her trust." I admitted. 

"I expected much, but you're the first guy since this summer that she's actually talked to. And I see her finally getting better, but I don't want you to screw her up." He warned. "You have to go slow with her. No surprises, she's very fragile." He explained. "She hasn't got the best past in the world when it comes to trusting men. So please, take things slow. I'm here to help if you need it, but I can't tell you about her. I already swore to my grave that I wouldn't tell anyone."  

I nodded. "Don't worry; I wasn't planning on forcing you to tell me anything. I just needed to make it clear that I had found my mate. You've heard about how possessive we get when we find them. And with my birthday coming in a few days and all-" I trailed off. "I know that my possessiveness is going to get a lot worse since I will have the Alpha blood running stronger and I am not mated just yet. I just wanted to warn you that I may not take well with you holding my mate like you have been." I warned. 

He chuckled lightly. "Sorry about that, it just helps calm her down to know that I am right there with her. And it's because I was there, I saved her." He said. The more riddles he gave the more questions I had, but I knew I couldn't go to him for the help, I would have to go straight for the source. 

"Just give her some more time. This is the most I've seen her interact with anyone other than her brother and me and Sasha. Just be careful with her." He warned. 

None of us had time to talk further because we got a command through our links that had us running out the doors. 

Landon has been attacked. Jamie, get everyone into the pack house right now. Came my father's voice. Our trackers have caught the scent of a pack of rogues. They attacked Landon while he was doing his parole. 

No one asked questions as we shifted and started running towards my father who was carrying a bleeding and cut open Landon. Doc came out and grabbed him carrying him towards the pack house that was now in full swing, people running inside, my mother shouting orders to everyone.