Chapter 1- The Return

Start from the beginning

There are deep lines all across it and
though she is still gorgeous, I'm sure she's tired.

Poor Carol. I knew Dave's job had him traveling throughout Gabe's whole life, but I didn't know how bad it was.

"Gabe was tired of moving around all the time so we're back! I just think he should be in a steady school for senior year & I always loved it here." She exclaims, bouncing right back from her sad look. "I'm so happy to be back!" She gushes and wraps an arm around my mom. Then both go inside her house, leaving me once again to stand on the lawn.

I shake my head and look up to my room longingly.

Oh how I wish mom would let me sneak upstairs to read. I'm literally the last girl on the planet who hasn't read "The Fault In Our Stars" and I refuse to see the movie before I finish it. Sadly, mom would yell at me if I ignored this beautiful day.

"Alex?" A deep voice asks & I jump hearing the close proximity.

My eyes snap to the source and its non other than Gabe. My childhood best friend.

God he's huge.

It's true. He's practically tripled in size. Gabe used to be that scrawny kid on the playground. He was average height & had an athletic build. Now, now he resembles a bull. He probably scrapes around 6'3 & his bicep looks bigger than my head.

"Gabe." I say, smiling and he envelopes me in a hug.

His arms trap me & he squeezes a bit too tight so I let out a yelp.

"Oops. Sorry." He says, releasing me.

"It's fine." I say, brushing off that near death experience. "So how've you been? It's seems like forever since I've seen you." I comment & he smiles.

"I've been good. Really good actually. We went so many place Lex. Rome, Paris, Tokyo, Brazil. God it was awesome. I wish you could've seen it." He says, eyes glowing with wonder and my heart clenches.

I would've liked to see it too. We planned on seeing it all together, but you left. Just like he left.

"Sounds like fun." I say, but I can almost taste the sourness in my voice.

Great. He's going to think I'm mad or something.

His face changes almost instantly and I can tell he noticed what I said.

"I really do wish you could've been with me Alex. You would've loved it. I missed you so much while I was gone. Did you know that?" He asks & I turn to glare at him, all my hurt and anger resurfacing.

"Then why didn't you call me? Would it have been too much to say hi or tell me happy birthday? My birthday was 3 days after you left, Gabe. You couldn't call me or send an email or something? Do you know how bad it hurt me when you just disappeared?"

Take a breath Alex. He doesn't need this. He just came back. You can be friends again. Just stop.

"It felt like you died because I never heard from you again. In 5 years I never got so much as a Facebook friend request. Why was that Gabe? Why did you just forget about me?"

You need to quit now Alex. He probably feels bad enough. Don't say something you'll regret. Stop!

"It was so selfish of you to leave me without even saying goodbye. My dad left and so did you. You're such a selfish prick. Don't even think about coming back into my life. I'm fine! Everything is perfect! Don't ruin this for me!" I burst & I feel my lip quivering, but I will not cry. I won't let myself do that.