Chapter 1- The Return

Alex's POV

It was like any other summer time day. I was sitting in the comfort of my room, on the window sill. My newest book in my hands and not a care in the world.

The summer breeze blows softly through my chocolate brown hair, ruffling the pages slightly. I vaguely register the sound of a truck backing up in the driveway outside my window.

"Lexi! Come downstairs!" My mother calls and I huff in frustration, grabbing my Doctor Who bookmark and shutting my novel. I place it carefully on my bed and run downstairs.

"Mom." I whine. "I just got to the part where Hazel and Augustus have their date!" I finish, stomping my foot on the ground.

My mom turns to me, looking slightly irritated. "Alexandra Marie. You will not ruin such a beautiful, amazing day by whining." She scolds me and I frown.

"What is it?" I ask, tapping my foot anxiously.

I want to get back to my book.

She suddenly breaks into a smile and grabs my hand, dragging my helpless self outside to the front lawn.

The grass is the most beautiful deep, green. The sky is a wonderful combination of robin's egg blue & wispy, magical clouds. Birds are chirping & our neighbors are mowing the lawn.

That isn't what catches my attention though. My mother turns me to face the house to our left. It'd been for sale for quite a long time. 9 months to be exact.

I guess somebody finally bought it, by why is mom so excited.

"What is so special about some new-?" I'm cut short as I see that oh-so-familiar face.

He's smiling as he carries 3 stacked boxes inside the doorway. A white cotton shirt adorns his surprisingly, muscular body & dark jeans cover his legs. His skin is a dark tan & his perfect teeth seem to sparkle in the sunlight.

It's all spectacular, but his eyes. Those eyes that I used to stare into, telling my deepest secrets. Sharing so many memories. Those beautiful green, forest orbs that I couldn't help, but watch forever. The kindness that would swim in them. The way they'd shine when he laughed. They're absolutely breathtaking.

He left. Why is he back? Why Gabe? Why?

I hadn't seen or heard from Gabe in 5 years. He left me & it broke me apart.

He was my best friend, my only friend. We played, talked, & laughed endlessly. It was always fun to have him around. He understood me. I loved him.

No. I didn't have a crush on him. So just put that thought on the back burner.

It wasn't like that. There's no denying he was cute, but I never liked him that way. He was like a brother to me.

It's just a shock to see him.

He looks so good. Like these past five years didn't mean anything to him. Like leaving me didn't matter. Its almost as if he never cared about me at all.

"Hi!" Mom squeals beside me, rushing to hug Carol.

Great. Just leave me here, utterly shell shocked. Thanks mom, you're number one!

Carol's face lights up as she sees my mom & they squeeze each other tight enough to kill

"Oh how long's it been Kim? 5 years?" Carol asks as they break apart and mom is just a ball of joy.

"Yes. Five years too many. Why did you ever leave?" She asks and Carol frowns.

"Oh you know how Dave is. Always on the move. We just decided that enough was enough & we wanted to travel with him for a bit." She says then sighs and for the first time, her age shows.