Chapter 28

QOTD: favorite animal?

When Rylan asked how school was, I told him it was good

When Rylan asked how school was, I told him it was good. I had a good day, I said as I buckled my seatbelt and let him take me home.

I thought about it hours later as I made lunch. I'd probably still think about it later tonight. Possibly even tomorrow, thoughts bleeding into the next day.

It was easy lying to him. Seeing his tired smiled and bed head didn't make me feel as bad as I should've. Because I got to see him. I wouldn't lie again, but it was easy to. Maybe later I'd feel bad. I tended to do that, realizing too late that oh, I shouldn't have done that.

But for right now I was happy that I got to see them both today, no matter how brief the car rides.

_

It was three o'clock. Kyler would be home in three hours and Rylan would wake up any minute.

After parting with a kiss, Rylan only texted me for what felt like minutes before going back to sleep. I don't think he's been sleeping that well either. As I stared at the tv, I wondered if I should ask. Is that a boyfriend thing to do? Worry about his sleep?

I was worried but ultimately too selfish to let him sleep instead of picking me up. It would probably happen soon, that slow regret I always felt hours later.

My hand felt for the remote when a commercial came on, accidentally grabbing Sammy the first time. I found it under his leg and went to fast forward through the indistinguishable commercials. x3, I watched everything blur together. Kyler uses x4.

I wondered what I was watching.

When I recognized The Simpsons, I paused and let the tv play. It was only a commercial, showing a short preview of the newest episode. I kept fast forwarding and paused when it got to the actual show. Oh, it's Bob's Burgers.

It was probably too late to start paying attention but I attempted to anyways. I've already seen it so it wasn't hard.

The next time I looked for the remote, I couldn't find it.

_

It was four o'clock and Kyler would be home in two hours. Rylan was awake and getting ready for work.

He texted me now and then but his responses were slow. I knew he was getting ready and he was busy but I still waited by my phone, silently anticipating the text I would surely get. It was just a matter of when.

My tv was clicked off, too distracted to pay attention. When all the colors startled blurring I turned it off off and laid on my side to scroll through twitter. I looked through all the art on my feed and saved some of them for later, just in case inspiration struck.

I wanted to sketch but I knew I wouldn't be able to pay attention. Even as I scrolled through my feed, I found my thumb paused and my eyes completely spaced out.