12. The Loss

!!TW: death!!

I tried a first person pov in this chapter instead of a third person - let me know if you like it or should I go back to third person?

The low grumble of a cough rippled down the corridor and the ripple effect caused my mouth to part from his. My lips felt empty without his there anymore, like they were practically aching for him to come back, but before I had time to linger on that thought I was looking in the direction of the noise praying to Merlin it wasn't Hermione, or worse. Harry.

By the luck of some unknown force it wasn't one of my friends who caused our lips to seperate, but Snape. Standing like a shadow at the end of the hall, his one signifier being his greasy hair shining in the light of the torches.

"Miss Gardner, McGonagall has requested to see you in Dumbledore's office" he drawled.

"But it's nine o'clock. That's past office hours"

"It's urgent."

I glanced to look at Malfoy but he had his gaze fixed to the ground. Brilliant, he's embarrassed of me. I brushed down the skirt of my dress which had been ruffled during my rendezvous. I walked down the corridor, past Snape.

"Oh and five points from Gryffindor"

I didn't stop but silently rolled my eyes from the lack of points taken from Slytherin; although I did hear the familiar whack which indicated Snape had given Malfoy his own form of punishment.

"Mr Malfoy, follow me" I turned briefly to see Snape leading Malfoy out the other end of the corridor.

It's no secret Snape and Malfoy have been indulging in a lot of secret meetings this term; constantly skulking around the corridors together, never talking above a whisper.

I walked along the corridors mulling over what could possibly be so urgent and pushed back any and all thoughts that it could be to do with mum. I mean she was in the safest place humanly possible - under protection of the Order and Dumbledore. No that definitely wasn't it.

What about Lance? It's possible he could've been broken out of Azkaban like Bellatrix was. Surely not, he wasn't an important Death Eater by any means - he'd only been one for a few years by the time he got a life sentence in Azkaban.

Maybe the Death Eaters were on the hunt for me? It's possible with Lance locked away and Mum in hiding. They did say they needed a 'member of our family' they never specified who. But Hogwarts is impenetrable, they'd need a man on the inside to get remotely close to me...

Malfoy?

No don't be stupid. This is probably all about some extra Transfiguration work... that Dumbledore needed to be there for? Yes, that'll be it.

I'd been too caught up in my thoughts to realise I was standing in front of the gargoyle at the foot of the entrance to Dumbledore's office. I waited there for a few moments before the gargoyle started to turn indicating I should step on; I stood on the step and was carried up to the top.

I started picking at my nails as a nervous habit, I mean this meeting really could be about anything.

I had only knocked once on the large wooden door before it swung open revealing the chaos inside. Dumbledore was behind his desk shuffling through papers as McGonagall spoke with her voice raised and her arms being flung about the place. In front of Dumbledore's desk was that...

The Minister of Magic?

Shit. It's not good.

I shuffled slightly into the office, trying to get someone to acknowledge my presence. McGonagall's eyes shot to me covered with a foreign look that I couldn't distinguish but they quickly softened.