4. The Detention

Sorry this chapter's quite a long one because I want to move the plot along a bit more!

Let me know if you like long chapters or if you prefer the shorter ones :)

~~~~~

"Reparifarge. Well, Mr Longbottom, you did manage to conjure a bird - it's just a shame it wasn't living once it left your wand." McGonagall ushered Neville back to his seat and carried on with the lesson, "Should you cast the bird-conjuring charm correctly..."

In all honesty Violet wasn't really listening to the lesson, she was gazing at the window where the cool rays of September sun were slicing through the classroom illuminating its inhabitants. She couldn't help but let her mind wander - she had already perfected the bird-conjuring charm weeks ago anyway.

She wondered how her mother was doing. She still hadn't responded to the owl Violet had sent her on the first day and wondered if everything was all right; although school owls were notoriously slow, especially in the first week when they were being used non-stop by first years sending messages home. Although Violet didn't dwell on the thought for too long as the lesson was soon over.

She approached McGonagall's desk while the rest of the class filtered out for lunch.

"Professor, may I speak with you?"

"Of course Gardner - please sit" McGonagall motioned to a seat beside her desk once she too had taken a seat. "I heard what happened in potions yesterday, I didn't expect that from you."

That's what everyones been saying.

"Actually that's what I wanted to speak to you about"

McGonagall raised an eyebrow at her.

"You see, professor, it was all Malfoy. He was pestering me the entire lesson so when he tried to throw something at me I tried to hold his arm to stop him - I had hardly touched him when he started screaming in pain. I promise I didn't do anything" Violet had leant forward and had her hands clasped together resting on Mcgonagall's desk, as though she were begging. "Please can you speak to Slughorn about removing my punishment. I was about to go and see him now about where I'll be doing my detention, I was hoping if you were to come with me-"

"Now Gardner, slow down" McGonagall placed a hand on top of Violets "I believe that you weren't at fault, that Malfoy's a nasty piece of work. I can't completely remove your punishment but I'm sure if you give this..." she scribbled something on a piece of parchment and handed it to Violet "to Professor Slughorn he can reduce your detention to a week."

Violet took the parchment and shoved it into her pocket, "Thank you professor, I won't take up any more of your time".

"Gardner - I just wanted to say it doesn't go un-noticed how hard you try in my class, I know it isn't easy for you."

Violet wasn't sure what to say so just smiled.

"I know it might be a bit down heartening considering how naturally it comes to Granger, but you'll get it eventually." McGonagall lowered her voice slightly and leant forward. " You know your mother Eleanor didn't have a particular knack for Transfiguration to begin with, nor did your brother Lance but both did exceedingly well in their N.E.W.T.s - just as I'm sure you will."

Lance. She hadn't heard that name in a while.

Noticing that Violet had tensed at the mention of her brother McGonagall rose from her seat. "Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to offend-"

"Professor it's fine honestly" Violet gave a weak smile as she turned to pick up her bag.

McGonagall gave her a firm nod as she left the class.