Party On The Dance Floor

Start from the beginning

I stood up and walked over to Kiara. She took in a deep breath and let it out shakily. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. It's nothing." She said. I could tell she didn't want to talk about what was bothering her.

I felt confused. Did she get stood up? Did something bad happen? Questions entered my mind, and went. Some made sense, and others felt dumb. Whatever it was, I hoped she would figure it out.

"So..." Kiara said, changing the subject. "Are you ready for the party?"

I blinked. Do I look ready?

"No. I guess I'll go put on a dress or something." I said, opening the dresser. I took out a small sundress that I've had since 9th grade. "How about this?"

She cringed. "That old thing? You can't wear that to a party of Lana Douglas. You won't even be let in."

"Lana Douglas?" I questioned. 

"She's the most popular girl at West Brook. She's also one of the wealthiest. Her father is the mayor and her mother owns a popular boutique in SoHo. She's New York royalty." Kiara explained. "My sister went here last year before she was transferred to a University in Switzerland. And according to her, Lana is a force to be reckoned with." 

"Wait, she's Christopher Douglas's daughter?" I asked, amazed. "I thought he only had a son."

"He's in the spotlight a lot more. Which is probably why you've heard of him, but not her. He's his father's lawyer." Kiara clarified.

"Hmm. Well, there isn't really anything impressive in my closet. I suppose I shouldn't go, then." I sat back down on my bed.

"Don't even think about it! You're going!" She sashayed to her closet and rummaged through it. Turning hanger after hanger. 

"What are you doing?"

"I'm looking for something you could wear." She took out a sparkling purple dress, then put it back in. "We're about the same size. You could borrow one of my outfits."

"If you insist." I watched her patiently.

Eventually, she took out a bright, solid gold dress with a plunging neckline. I froze in shock. It was perfect.

"I'll wear that." I said. 

Kiara looked at me quizzically. "Really? You want to wear this?"

"Yeah, I know. You probably didn't expect me to want to wear something like that. But, hey, I'll try anything once." I said. 

"Okay, then." She handed over the dress and I put in on inside of her closet. Coming out, I spun around for effect.

"Wow! You look better in it than I did!" Kiara said.

"Seriously?" I asked, shyly. I turned towards the mirror.

"Wait!" Kiara stopped me before I could see myself.  "Let's add some make-up and do something with that ponytail of yours. Then you can see the new you!"

I raised an eyebrow, but shrugged in agreement. "Alright..."

A long powdering, brushing, curling, and painting session later Kiara turned me around in a makeshift chair. 

She gasped. "Wow."

"What? How...do I look?" I asked, nervously.

She pointed to the mirror in awe. I stood up and walked towards it slowly, expecting a mime to stare back.

But instead, my jaw dropped. "Oh...my...God...is this me?"

~~~~~