Fray always said "You can't keep involving her into your life. She'll suffer. You're putting her in danger."

He and my father would always argue. My dad was so fed up, he excluded him from our family. He didn't want to hear what was most likely the truth.

And I flushed the toilet and leaned against the wall. Head against cool tiles. I'm sobbing into my hands that cover my face.

I gasp for air when the door opens and there stands Harry. The look on his face. He knows. But I don't care.

He takes a step forward, face absolutely neutral but the clench of his jaw shows me he feels something for the sight in front of him or for the fact that I just heard everything.

Not a word is said as he kneels in front of me. His pale green eyes stare at me carefully, and I'm overblown with so many emotions I can't even look at him right now.

Harry's hands reach for my wrist, but immediately I refuse. I hiccup and sniffle as I rip my wrists from his reach in a flash.

He watches me with furrowing eyebrows.

"Please," is all he says. What he's asking for is either that I don't freak out or I cooperate and try to listen to his explanation.

I don't know, so I let everything occur on it's own. He grabs my hands and pulls me to him. His arms wrap around my body, hugging me in a strong embrace.

My face is buried into his shoulder, tears staining his black shirt.

I feel his hot breath fan against my neck. He speaks so huskily and low. Like he's tired and he can't seem to find the energy.

"I've only ever wanted to protect you," he rasps. "I can't...I won't hurt you. I don't want to. They'll have to kill me first."

My lips press tightly together as I suppress a sob. My weary voice asks, "You've been working for my uncle? Against my dad?"

His silence confirms that. "He adopted me when I was eight," he quietly tells me. "And my goal was never to kill you. It was to take your father down, earn his trust. But Fray heard about everything and wanted me to kill you."

I pull away from him. It's not just people wanting to end me, but my own family as well. My heart aches but I decided not to elaborate on those feelings.

A tear falls from my eye. I look up at him as he looks at me.

"How many times were you actually thinking about killing me?" I sob out. I can feel my face red and hot with plenty of hurt.

"Catalina --"

"How many? Huh? Were you being an asshole to me just so you could make it easier for yourself to kill me?" I was raising my voice, but it was shaky.

Of course, he hates when I raise my voice. He clenches his jaw, and his husky voice is dominant over mine.

"It was that way, but it was hard for me. Because I --"

"Why are there people like this in --!?"

He reaches for my face, cupping it with his hands as he pulls me to him. My hands grasp his shoulders from the sudden pull.

"Listen to me, damn it. I wouldn't have ever killed you. I just wanted you to hate me. Hate me because I hate myself too for ever having to do this to you. I didn't want you to find out," he confesses firmly, thumb brushing away my tear.

His eyes stare deeply, and his nose nearly brushes mine. "My main priority was you. All the way to this moment. I did everything I could to save you."

I was a mess by now. My voice stopped working and I was a sobbing mess in his arms. With things in my mind like "why do evil people exist" and "how can people be so cruel".

But most of all I thought about how especially my own blood wanted to kill me. Fray wanted me dead because he thought I was better dead than alive.

Zayn and Liam showed up, and still I continued to cry. Harry picked me up and gave the two guys a look. One that was a message. He carried me to the bedroom we slept in the previous night.

Harry lied me down on my side on the bed where I still shed my depressed tears. He kneels beside the bed, his hand running over my red, hot cheek.

I feel his lips kiss the skin there as he murmurs, "I love you. Please remember that. I'm sorry."

And then he leaves me alone to my thoughts.

note: predictions?

and hopefully the confusion is lessened. Thanks for reading homies. I had to take a break bc school had me stressed. But it's Feb vacation! 😎🔥