Chapter 2

Chapter 2
The hospital gave her one day of rest before she was discharged. Her parents also handed a letter from the school.

"I read the letter. You're changing class?! It must have been your worthless grades!" Scolded her father the moment she opened her eyes.

"I haven't even taken a test this term," she grumbled. "Oh. But why are you changing class?" He asked. Sophie shrugged, not even bothering to question it herself.

"How is your leg then?" Her father continued. "Leg?" She asked, wondering why he asked about her legs. Were they injured or something? It sure didn't feel like it.. She used her hands to shove off the blankets, but her leg looked fine. Her father seemed stunned as she shot him a puzzled look. Her father just rubbed his eyes and wiped his glasses, as if unable to wrap his head around the fact that her legs were fine.

"They were burned when you came home. You seemed drunk, yelling about how the mighty Phoenix has returned. Didn't I tell you there's no such thing as magical creatures when you were young?" He growled.

Yeah, Phoenixes are real. I healed your burns.

It took Sophie a few seconds to comprehend that something spoke to her, and that it was not her father. The voice sounded very far, but very near. "What the hell?" Shrieked Sophie, looking around trying to find where the hell the voice was coming from.

In your head. Did you forget you called me a parrot?

"Sophie what's going on?" Came a calm but slightly tensed up voice. "Doctor Lee, her legs were burned when I brought you here, weren't they?" Pressed her father, his voice trembling with every word. Doctor Lee nodded solemnly.
"But now her legs are perfectly fine! Tell me I am not hallucinating!" Bellowed her father, his frenzied eyes darting between Doctor Lee and Sophie. "I saw it with my very own eyes, sir. No need to fret, this is actually a good thing," replied Doctor Lee, glancing at Sophie suspiciously. She flashed him a sheepish look, because she herself had no idea what was going on. "She is free to leave the hospital for school now," stated Doctor Lee as he handed her a backpack. "Your father brought this here. He was very worried yesterday, since your legs were burned and you passed out in the house," continued Doctor Lee. She knew her father cared for her, but he really worried too much about her grades sometimes.

Sophie grabbed the bag, but a strange feeling washed over her the moment Doctor Lee handed it to her. Fumbling with the bag in hand, she twisted past him.

I don't like this man.

She shuddered as she scampered out the building, refusing Doctor Lee's offer to escort her.

"Who are you?" Sophie asked the moment she was alone on the path to school.

Radiance the mighty Phoenix.

"You're the parrot?"

Phoenix. Didn't I just say it?

"I mean...yeah. But still, I think I'm going crazy," she blurted out.

No you're not, just try punching. That'll prove you of my existence.

"The heck? Why would I? In public and to embarrass myself more than I already have?"

Do it. I can prove that I am part of your spirit now. And there's no one around anyways.

Sophie stopped walking and actually began wondering if Radiance, as the Phoenix seemed to be named, was really in her head. Drawing her hand back, she flung it out in a hard punch and a flame exploded out of her hand, throwing her backwards.

"GAH!" she yelled as she rubbed her sore back. She just knew a blue-black would form.

Don't worry about your back. Phoenixes have mild regeneration, which can heal any physical injury if given time.