Chapter 6

Kailie's POV

"Miss me?" I question my twin sister, smirking at her shocked look. She probably thought that she had run me out of town permanently. Newsflash: she didn't. 

Elena doesn't respond, standing frozen like a statue. Damon joins her, while I grab the bottle of bourbon and a glass on his bedside table. Pouring myself some more alcohol, I hear the Salvatore speak from behind me. 

"You have five seconds to tell me who you are, before I send you through the window." he threatens, causing me to loudly chuckle. I wrap my fingers around my now filled glass and swirl the bourbon inside. 

"I know you're dumb, Damon, but I didn't think you were that dumb." I state, continuing to laugh. I turn around to see the vampire glaring at me and roll my eyes. "You really don't see the resemblance?"

Damon takes a few seconds to look between me and Elena, before his eyes widen. It's almost as if I can see the gears turning in his head. 

"You're her sister, but that's not possible. There's no record of you anywhere." he informs me, as I raise one of my eyebrows. Now that's new. I glance over at Elena and quickly realize what happened.

"You want to tell him, little sister? Or shall I?" I ask her, earning silence in response. Apparently, she doesn't want to look bad in front of her boyfriend. I place my bourbon down and stalk closer to the pair. The Salvatore steps in front of Elena to protect her, causing me to roll me eyes. 

"Short version, Damon. This bitch and her parents destroyed any mention of me in their lives after I left Mystic Falls. They wanted to pretend that I was just a figment of their imagination. Some nightmare they needed to forget. Did I miss anything, Elena?" I question the human cowering behind the Salvatore, who shakes her head in response. 

Feeling my bloodlust rise, I decide to leave the room. Heading downstairs, I hear the heartbeats of every single person and realize I need to get out of here now. I really don't want to have another secret exposed tonight. I run out of and away from the Boarding House, before speeding off back towards the Lockwood mansion.

It doesn't take me long to get back to the mansion. The only problem now is that I desperately need some blood in my system. I don't want to risk attacking a human on my way back, and animal blood is disgusting. As soon as I get to my room, I need to grab a blood bag.  

I step outside of the mansion, ready to enter through the front door. Before I can, however, I hear Mrs. Lockwood talking on the phone. I don't need to be around her right now when I'm craving blood. There's one other way I'm getting into this house now.

I sneak around to the side of the mansion directly underneath my bedroom window. I sigh in relief when I spot the window is open. I must have forgotten to close it after I woke up. In my defense, I did have a rude awakening this morning. 

Checking to make sure no one can see me, I hop up to the window and climb inside of my room. I quietly step around the items on the floor, trying to avoid alerting my presence to Mrs. Lockwood. Once I am safely on my bed, I pull out a blood bag and suck it dry. 

After I throw the empty container away, I spot a pile of wrapped boxes at the foot of my bed. I guess Mrs. Lockwood must have put them there after we left for the party earlier. Leaning up, I grab one of them to unwrap it. 

As I pull it closer to me, I notice an envelope tapped to the top of the present. I rip off the note and set the box down on the bed. Undoing the seal, I pull out a small piece of paper. While skimming over the letter, my eyes begin to water. 

Kailie,

By the time you read this, I will have died. I'm helping a friend retrieve an item that the Salvatore brothers want and will kill over. Please don't cry too much. We both knew this day was coming. Because I will never see you again, I want you to do something for me. Have a good life. Do that for me, Kai. Have a fantastic life.

Mason

I miss that damn werewolf so much. Setting the note down, I pull the box into my lap and rip it open. Inside of the gift, I find a small bunch of wolfsbane and a framed photo of me and Mason from my 14th "birthday party". Since the Gilbert's were solely focused on Elena that day, the Lockwoods threw me a small party. Mason made a special trip to Mystic Falls for my birthday. 

Wiping away my tears, I place the present and note onto my bedside table. I need to get some sleep before my trip tomorrow morning.

 I need to get some sleep before my trip tomorrow morning