― chapter 30.

❝ i'm not in cobra kai, and i don't plan on joining

❝ i'm not in cobra kai, and i don't plan on joining. ❞

AYANE LEFT THE DOJO, but someone followed her out.

"Ayane."

She recognized Miguel's voice with no mistake. Turning, Ayane's mouth quirked up into a smile.

"Hey. What's up?"

Miguel drew his lips in, frowning a little. He was trying to think of the right words to say.

"Are you... okay? I-I feel like I haven't really asked lately. I just want to know how you are."

Ayane laughed a little. "I'm fine, Mig. Why wouldn't I be?"

He raised an eyebrow at her.

"Where do I begin?"

She sighed, shaking her head with a little smile. "Despite the whole 'my dad being in jail' thing. And the 'my mom doesn't want me' thing. Not the point. But I'm fine. Honestly."

Miguel was not buying that. He could read Ayane better than she thought.

"Ayane. I know you better than that. Tell me the truth."

She paused, her smile fading. Ayane glanced at the doors of the dojo, then back to Miguel.

"Fine. It's Kreese. That man is- there's something that I really don't like about him."

"You and me both," Miguel replied, folding his arms.

Ayane tapped her foot. "Yeah, but... I went and talked to my dad."

Miguel quickly looked up but Ayane continued.

"He knew Kreese. A long time ago. And... I've met Kreese before."

Ayane trailed away as she thought about her little brother again. The little brother that no one had ever known existed.

"Holy shit," Miguel said, shaking his head slowly. "Does that mean Kreese is crazy too? No offense-"

"Definitely none taken," Ayane replied, laughing dryly.

She shrugged. "I don't know. My dad told me that Kreese was the one who encouraged him to teach me martial arts. And while my dad may be a piece of shit, he wouldn't lie about something like that."