― chapter 24.

❝ that's a good way to get a black eye, you know

❝ that's a good way to get a black eye, you know. ❞

AYANE HAD LOST.

But strangely enough, she felt a sense of relief.

Miguel helped her up and Ayane hugged him tightly, a smile on her face.

He hugged her back, hearing Ayane whisper, "You deserve this."

She pulled away, allowing the other Cobra Kais to fill in and congratulate him. Ayane walked over to Mr. LaRusso, still smiling.

Daniel narrowed his eyes at her. "Ayane, I saw what you did."

She looked up at him, furrowing her eyebrows. "What- lose?"

Mr. LaRusso rolled his eyes. "No. You let him win. Why?" He wasn't mad, but he was genuinely curious.

Ayane faltered, shrugging a moment later. "It's okay to lose to your opponent, but not to fear. Isn't that what you said?"

The truth was, Ayane's fear was Ennis. And by losing this tournament, by giving him the biggest 'fuck you' in history, Ayane had conquered her fear.

She wasn't afraid of him anymore.

Daniel nodded. "I guess so. Well, you know what? As long as you're happy."

Ayane smiled, hugging Mr. LaRusso briefly.

"Oh- I have to go get my trophy."

There were two trophies waiting on the table, one slightly bigger than the other. Ayane found it funny that now she'd have a second place trophy to go with all of her first place ones.

They presented the awards, and from the crowd Ayane could see Ennis and Liana. Her father's expression was unreadable.

But Ayane was not even scared to face him. She was actually excited to.

After they presented the awards, Miguel approached her.

"Hey."

"Hi," she smiled.

Miguel drew in a breath. "So- we were gonna go out and celebrate. I was wondering if you wanna come, too?"

Ayane grinned. "I'd love to. But- I'm still grounded."

He sighed, nodding at once. "Alright. Then I'll come to your house as soon as I can."