― chapter 15.

❝ romeo and juliet didn't end at a karate tournament

❝ romeo and juliet didn't end at a karate tournament. ❞

SUNDAY ARRIVED MUCH TOO SOON.

The entire day, Ayane was a nervous wreck. She did her taekwondo practice with her dad, and after that she could not sit still.

Liana claimed to not need any help, which Ayane knew she probably didn't. But she still walked into the kitchen every five minutes to have something to do.

When her mother sent her out, Ayane was beside herself. She went up to her room, and finally, texted Miguel.

He seemed just as nervous as she was, though Ayane tried to mask her anxiety by sending memes. Miguel tagged her in a photo on Instagram, where they were both holding their stuffed animals.

Ayane smiled and looked at the picture for a long time, like she was afraid she'd forget it if she looked away.

She put a little unicorn emoji by Miguel's name, and he complained that it wasn't fair because there was no pink dragon emoji. Ayane grinned with amusement, then started getting ready for dinner.

The girl had never felt this kind of nervousness before. It made her stomach do flips, and not in a good way. Ayane just hoped she could hide that at dinner.

Just as she checked her phone to see the time, the doorbell rang.

"Shit," she said, running downstairs as quickly as she could. She had to beat Ennis to the door, or God knows what would happen.

Ayane's stomach lurched as she got halfway downstairs, seeing Ennis standing at the front door. On the other side of him was Miguel, who seemed surprisingly calm.

"Come in," Ennis welcomed in a voice that Ayane had never heard before. It was- warm.

She continued down the stairs, exchanging a look with Miguel. Ayane smiled, walking over and putting her hand over his shoulder.

"Let me show you around."

Really, Ayane just wanted to bring him upstairs to calm her nerves. She could not wrap her mind around Miguel and her parents being in the same room.

"This place is huge," he remarked, looking around.

"Yeah," Ayane breathed, "and we don't even need most of it. But anyway."

She stopped at her bedroom, opening the door and walking in.

Miguel smiled in that cute way he always did, looking around the room.