Coming home to you [Ben Barnes x Reader]

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry, Ben, I really have tried to talk to you about it so many times, but as if you didn't even hear my words," you walked up to him, getting hold of his arm. "Ben, please, don't walk away now," you pleaded with him, trying to keep your unshed tears at bay.

"I honestly don't know what I think, I can't even collect my thoughts. Let's take a break," he suggested calmly, but you knew what a break meant. Most of the times when people took a break, it ended with a breakup. Since Ben just arrived home, spending months without you, he had plenty of time to miss you, but from your perspective, he perhaps didn't.

You let go of his arm and took a step back, nodding. Wanting nothing but to cry, you didn't try to stop him anymore. Although he didn't say it, you knew it was the end of your relationship. You watched as he picked up his bag and walked to the front door. Taking a last look at you, he tightened his jaws and heaving a deep sigh, he opened the door and walked out of your life.

*

You got up from the couch, sniffling, removing the leftover pieces of food from your face with the back of your hand. As you caught a glimpse of your reflection in the mirror you flinched at the sight.

Your hair was oily, and pieces of crisps hung on them. Your clothes were wrinkled and unwashed, slightly smelly and your teeth were full of chewed up food. The sight of you made you sick. Heaving a deep sigh, you dropped your snacks on the couch and headed towards the bathroom. It's been a week since you let yourself go, looking like never before and it was time for you to finally collect yourself and start healing.

It didn't mean you were hurting less though. The slight hope Ben left you with, made you think of fantasies where you found each other once again, both of you apologising wholeheartedly, falling into each other's arms. But you knew it was just a silly game of your naive little head. A part of you still wanted to believe against all the odds, against all your realistic thoughts that screamed to forget about Ben.

You got out of the shower, finally shaving all your body parts, washing, scrubbing yourself like a mad woman. It was somewhat refreshing to finally look like a normal human being once again. Heading towards your room, you picked up some of your dirty clothes and threw them in the laundry basket.

After dressing up, you called up a friend of yours, arranging to meet up for a cup of tea in the heart of the city, hoping the busy lifestyle would distract your thoughts. You already told your friend about your "break" with Ben and whilst she still tried to keep your spirit, attempting to convince you that it was indeed only a break, you didn't believe her, even though you wanted to.

As you walked across the busy streets, taking a quick glance at every little shop you passed by, a certain familiar pair of dark brown eyes caught your attention as you halted. You weren't the only one though. He stared back at you as if he hasn't seen you for months, completely forgetting about the conversation he was having with his friend.

He looked just as handsome as before you separated, except he wore a pair of dark circles under his eyes, clearly exhausted. You wanted to ask if he was okay, if he was doing well, but it was none of your business anymore. Air stuck in your lungs as you thought about walking up to him and wrapping your arms around his neck, inhaling his scent, but you didn't do it. He walked out that door, asking for space and you were not one to take it away from him. You heaved a deep, heavy sigh, letting your eyes rest on his handsome features for a moment longer, before you turned away from him and continued heading towards the little café to meet your friend.

You didn't expect to see him, it felt like a punch in your gut, feeling as if you were back to the day he left. As if you were starting from the bottom again. But instead of letting yourself go, you swallowed hard and composed yourself. You knew if you got back to that horrid point you have been to in the last week, it wouldn't have helped your case.