Coming home to you [Ben Barnes x Reader]

Start from the beginning

You walked up to him, reaching towards his hand. He found the situation comical, but he accepted the offer, waiting for some kind of prank from you. Instead, you took his hand in yours and shook it. "Hi, I'm your girlfriend," you spoke with a deadpan look, earning a chuckle from him.

"I'm quite aware of that," he replied happily.

"Are you? Because I wasn't sure. Haven't seen much of you since you came home," you added nonchalantly.

"Come on, you know I had to see my parents and my friends. I haven't seen them for months," his happy tone was long gone, his fidgeting showing clear discomfort.

"Yes, of course, I completely understand," you said, but it was all a lie. "However, it makes me question, how often have you seen me, because as far as I'm concerned you didn't see me just as long as them," you added with a questioningly raised brow and a stern expression.

"Please, let's not argue now, I'm home, we can finally spend some time together," he tried to resolve the problem, but this was not the first time you felt as if you were the last person of his list.

"I would gladly stop arguing if it was a one-time thing, if you didn't try to get out of this argument every single time. But Ben, each time you finally come home, you first visit your parents, your friends, even your least important colleagues and then if I'm lucky, I can catch a glimpse of you here and there, before you leave again," you scoffed in disbelief.

"You know that's not true, I try to spend as much time with you as I can," he tried to step closer to you, but you backed away.

"Do you really think so, Ben? When was the last time you and I had gone out on a date? When was the last time we surprised each other with a tiny present? When was the last time we just sat in the living room, cuddling, watching some silly tv show? Because I certainly can't remember," you pleaded with him, almost begging him to understand your side. "Why are we even together if we don't even try to sort this out?" your words were heavy, the air stuck in your lungs. You have never felt so neglected and whilst you knew from the very start that your relationship would be difficult, you thought the deep love you felt for him would make it easier. But you didn't think that you would ever feel as if that love was no longer reciprocated.

Ben stood in front of you with a guilty expression, you knew he understood where you were coming from, you knew he agreed with you, but instead of apologising and trying to solve the issue, he headed towards the bedroom, his steps hurried and heavy as if he was mad at you.

"What are you doing?" you asked as you followed him. He took his sport bag from the top of the wardrobe and started throwing his clothes inside. "What the hell are you doing?" you raised your voice, watching as the love of your life was getting ready to step out of your life.

"I'm leaving," he replied, clenching his teeth, tightening his jaw.

"But why?" you asked, astonished by his actions. "Why are you running away?"

"This is what you wanted, didn't you? If I can't give you what you want, it's easier to just end it right here," he scoffed in anger.

"That's not what I said," you pleaded with him, your eyes filling up with the unshed tears. "I said we should try to solve it, we, together. I didn't say you had to do as I asked. I just want you to pay attention to me and to find a common ground that's good for both of us. I miss you all the time, feeling like an idiot. I feel so useless." you attempted to get your words through his stubborn head, but they didn't seem to register. "Ben!" you raised your voice once again, but he just shook his head.

"If your first thought is why we are together when there's an issue between us, then what do you expect from me? We both knew there would be hardships, we knew it wouldn't be easy with my job being as hectic as it is, but I do love you and just because sometimes it gets hard, it doesn't change my feelings," he replied in a stern tone. "However, if you think of breaking up, if you question why we are even together when I am trying my hardest to balance my life, then maybe we shouldn't be together," he scoffed angrily. "I make mistakes, just like you do. I'm sure I have ignored your words many times even though it was probably unintentional, but to go as far as questioning us, that shouldn't be the first step," he shook his head in disagreement.