13. Koala Bears - M

🌟 P E M 🌟

After dinner, Ez asked to show me a place where he liked to sit and hang out "gather his thoughts" he said; I willingly agreed, wanting to learn more about him.

He took my hand, threw a backpack over his shoulder, lit a very cool looking vintage kerosene lamp and we made our way outside.

He brought me to a part of the property that I didn't even know existed, we had to walk through a short trail, which opened up to a big pond. The night sky was so beautiful reflecting off of the calm water.

Ez pulled a blanket from his pack and laid it out on the grass. He swiftly pulled me down in front of him, flanking his long legs on each side of me as I sat on the blanket facing him, knees bent over his.

"How are you doing, Pem?" His dark brown eyes met mine, genuinely asking.

I hummed out while pushing my fingers through my hair and then placing my forearms on my knees.

"You'll have to be more specific...how am I doing with recovery? Contract negotiations? The Centre?...Jace?" I blew a raspberry out of frustration.

He lightly chuckled, "The first one," he prompted.

"Good actually...don't get me wrong, I have cravings, sometimes night sweats, anxiety...but the AA meetings have helped a lot, the doctor is not so bad either."

He nodded, then smiled warmly, the glow from the candle lit up his handsome face, "What about your contract, how's that coming along?"

"Eh..." I said flippantly, "lawyer's are doing lawyery things...but I heard good news the other day, so fingers crossed that it will soon come to an end," I sighed, "I really don't want to go back to that life, Ez...it's not me anymore."

He nodded in agreement, "No, I suppose not," he hummed quietly, looking out to the calm water.

We sat in silence for a moment, enjoying the warm spring night, listening to the cicadas. His hand eventually reached out and enveloped mine, he squeezed them a few times.

"And The Centre? Jace?" perfectly shaped eyebrow lifted in question.

"Hmm...that's a little more difficult to answer..." I trailed off.

"Why's that?" He questioned, his voice low, inviting.

"Ez...how'd you do it? Jace told me you came here and fit right in, there were no real hurdles for you..."

He rolled his eyes, "That may be what it looks like, but there were struggles, still are."

"Like what?" I asked. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want," I shrugged, playing aloof.

"No, I do want," he smiled warmly. " my sole intention was to rescue Aiden from this place," he gestured back in the direction from where we came from, but obviously he didn't need to be rescued," he laughed, bright white teeth flashing behind darker pink lips. "He was my childhood crush too, just like Jace was for you. I thought I'd come here like a Knight in shining armor and whisk him away... live happily ever after."

I nodded, Jace told me this already. It was really sweet.

He sighed heavily, "Sometimes I get jealous of Fox though, they have a really tight bond from the experiences they shared and I feel like I'll never compare to him..." he trailed off.

"Aiden worships you," I chuckled, "the way he looks at you when you're not looking, it's...intense!"

"Really?" he smiled widely, "Good to know... but what I'm trying to say is that Jace is struggling with some things as well, he's trying to hold on to you, afraid that you'll leave him."