The Strange Appearance of a Familiar Silver Doe

Start from the beginning

"Let's go," said Estella, grabbing his hand, they set off in pursuit.

Snow crunched beneath their feet, but the doe made no noise as she passed through the trees, for she was nothing but light. Deeper and deeper into the forest she led them, and they walked quickly, sure that when she stopped, she would allow them to approach her properly. And then she would speak and the voice would tell them what they needed to know, why she appeared in the dead of night.

At last, she came to a halt. She turned her beautiful head toward them once more, and Harry broke into a run, pulling Estella along with him.

Though the darkness had swallowed her whole, her burnished image was imprinted in her mind. Now far came: her presence had meant safety.

"Lumos!" Harry whispered, and the wand-tip ignited.

The imprint of the doe faded away with every blink of her eyes as she stood there, listening to the sounds of the forest, to distant crackles of twigs, soft swishes of snow. Despite the surrounding darkness, she didn't feel unsafe but quite the contrary. She hoped Hermione would not wake up to find them missing.

"Harry, point the wand there," murmured Estella, guiding his hand in the direction of a gleaming object. In front of them was a small, frozen pool, its cracked black surface glittered as Harry raised the wand higher as Estella told him.

The ice reflected their distorted shadow and the beam of wand light, but deep below the thick, misty gray carapace, something else glinted. A great silver cross.

"Harry," her voice rose steadily. "That looks like-"

"The sword of Gryffindor," Harry finished, awe audible in his voice.

He dropped to his knees at the pool's edge and angled the wand so as to flood the bottom of the pool with as much light as possible. Rubies in its hilt were visible. It was the sword of Gryffindor lying at the bottom of the forest pool.

"How'd it get there?" she wondered aloud.

"I have absolutely no idea," said Harry.

"How do we get it out?" Harry asked a moment later.

The pair stared at it for a moment.

"Summoning Charm didn't work...I think we have to take a swim," Estella said, already shivering at the cold breeze passing over them.

"I'll do it," Harry said quickly.

"Hey-no, I'll do it!" she protested, ignoring him as he attempted to pass her her wand.

"Estella, you rely on the doggy paddle," said Harry.

"I don't see why that matters. I'm better at swimming underwater than above it!" she said, pushing her wand back to him.

"And I'm Elvis," he said sarcastically, pulling the first two jumpers he was wearing over his head. "Plus you're smaller which means you'd freeze quicker."

"Harry-"

"No more arguments, Essy, won't change anything," he murmured, locking eyes as he shrugged boots, his jeans, and dual pairs of socks.

"Next time one of us has to do something dangerous or something along those lines, it's going to be me," said Estella, scowling. "And I'm very good at the doggy paddle!"

"I know you are, Essy. I have no doubt in your swimming skills," he lied through chattering teeth and fully body shivers. He passed Estella the pouch he used to carry items of importance, then he pointed Estella's wand at the ice.

"Diffindo."

It cracked loudly, cutting through the silence: The surface of the pool broke and chunks of dark ice rocked on the ruffled water. As far as Estella could judge, his journey would not be too deep, but to retrieve the sword he'd have to fully submerge himself.