****

2 hours later, guests should be arriving any minute. The first trays of passed hors' d'oeuvres are all set to go. Swedish meatballs, salmon mousse tarts, chili lime shrimp cups, caprese salad skewers, and more. The grill has been fired up and all of the seafood has been prepped.

I've got my hands soaked in marinade when I hear her voice. "Oh this is fabulous, isn't this fabulous Lucas?"

"Yeah, it looks great." He sounded a little less enthused than she did, but wasn't being sarcastic.

I kept my head down and hands in an industrial sized steel bowl of raw shrimp and chili lime sauce. Out of the corner of my eye I saw them walking further away from me, heading towards a group of other kids from school. Paris' parents must have let her invite whoever she wanted to their anniversary party. That's nice of them, though I'm sure most of those kids belong to the country club already so it probably doesn't feel like a special invitation into the club.

An hour and then two pass without incident and I'm feeling relieved. If no one has made any snide remarks towards me so far then maybe I can get through this entire event without any incident. I'm living for Anna's color commentary throughout the night as we work. I'm at my station, prepping food for the cater waiters and helping my mom at the grill. Whenever Anna comes back for me to replenish her tray, she tells me some gossip she's overheard. No one says anything to her about being a waitress and recognizing her from school. Though if they did she'd probably curse them out.

"So I heard your friend Luke's stepdad is going away to Australia for months. Months! If I was his wife I'd be pissed. Leaving me here while he's off in Australia."

"Oh yeah I think my mom mentioned something about that to me. He's overseeing a hotel deal there and has to be local while it's being built. Luke's mom's not going since it's Luke's senior year here."

"You should go over and talk to him. That would piss Paris off so bad and I'd pay to see that," she laughs and we look over in the direction of Paris. She's wearing a floral lace mini dress with a swirl of colors that pops against her tan skin and blonde hair. My summer tan is from working outdoor events all summer while I'm sure hers is from lounging by the pool in Aruba or something. She's laughing dramatically, like how rich people on tv laugh, and has a hand on Luke's arm. He's got on a blue button down and khaki slacks. I bet he's sweating to death with long sleeves and long pants, but the country club has a dress code.

"He's not my friend. We haven't said more than 'hi' and 'bye' in years so you're going to have to pay someone else for that," I say as I finish filling her tray with clams casino and try not to glance back over at the dark haired, brown-eyed guy who is my former best friend.

Anna sighs, "Yeah but it'd be so much more satisfying if it were you."

After another hour, desserts are being prepared for the guests. I'm almost to the home stretch. An assortment of fruit pies are being finished up to set out on the long dessert table and the big show stopper is going to be a parade of baked alaska.

I'm cutting fruit to look like flowers for decorative purposes when I hear someone clear their throat across from me.

I look up, strawberry in one hand and a paring knife in the other.

"I thought that was you!" Paris claps her hands together. She's alone, but has 2 girlfriends standing a few feet behind her like entitled minions.

"Maisey, it's been ages! How are you?" She asks in the most fake, saccharine sweet voice ever. She acts like she hasn't seen me in years, but we go to the same school.

"I'm fine, Paris. How are you?" I say politely. One, because I don't want drama. And two, because I'm here representing my mom's business.

"I'm doing amazing. I just came back from vacation in Aruba,"