27. Day Or Night

Three weeks later...

Devi regarded the body he considered perfect, move restlessly and totally unfocused. The look on his face was far away and disturbed. They'd just got out of bed and he stood shirtless, looking out the window.

"Maybe he had his reasons," Devi said.

"Still, not to tell me. I don't get it. This is Leo we're talking about. What could be so bad that he couldn't even tell me. Couldn't even hint?"
Alex's worry was the only thing that clouded his anger.

"I know, but let's give it time," Devi went to stand next to him. Tracing fingers across Alex's chest. He didn't really understand his ability to take his man's mind off everything else and focus only on him. Even just with his fingers.

"I'll never get over how beautiful you are. Shit," Alex drew Devi in and the light from the window made his brown skin look heavenly. "It gives me goosebumps every time."

"Then just focus on that," Devi smiled.

______________

Jade was close to snapping.

Every single time he looked at Brady, his insides twisted.
The smile had left his eyes and as if that wasn't enough, they looked sunken, almost like he was suffering from some kind of disease. He looked almost ten years older. And what bugged him more than anything else was how little Brady ate. Brady! The same guy who could gobble up two boxes of pizza while Jade wasn't done with half of one. The one who savored the taste of everything he ate as if everything was a delicacy.

Just the other day, Jade had seen a few ribs poking out after he'd helped Brady out of his clothes to take a shower. It hurt really bad to see it.

In the first week after Leo's disappearance, Brady seemed completely normal, just unusually quiet but everything seemed fine. It wasn't until he stopped calling Jade, avoided every topic about Leo and got his ice cream order wrong that Jade saw the red flags.

What frustrated him more than anything else was that he had absolutely no way to help his best friend. All he could do was sit next to Brady and be there for him. Which pissed the fuck out of him.

He came to see Brady again, as always. He'd be there as long as he needed him. Jade was truly grateful for Devi, together, they were always there for Brady and his sweetness was everything their depressed friend needed at the moment.

"Here's your ice cream Brady, it's mint, your favorite. I even put extra sprinkles," said Jade.

Brady kept on looking ahead as Jade talked and even after. A beat too long after, he looked his way, then slowly turned to Devi, as if realizing for the first time that they were there.

"Oh hey Jade, hey Devi!" he should have sounded excited, like he usually did. But all they heard was his wobbly voice.

Devi went ahead to sit down then hug him from behind and rest his chin on his shoulder.

"How's my Brady doing?" He asked, trying for a cheerful voice.

Brady was silent as he looked ahead, but Devi didn't let him go, if anything, he held him tighter.

"I miss him, but he doesn't even want to see me," Brady sounded like he was on the verge of tears. "He didn't even want me to tell him how I felt!"

"It's okay, it's okay. It'll all work out, you'll see," Devi soothed.

This time Jade didn't stick around to listen, he stormed out, which was how he found himself yelling at Met.

"I know he's your friend but he's mine too and I really care about him. But it's not my place to interfere, it's not our place," said Met.