Saving Varian

Elizabeth's POV:

"Wait, what's going on?" i asked.

"it was the only way out of the library" Varian's voice had a weird echo now, worse than it already was standing in a big chamber "it didn't need to go like this and yet here we are..."

"But, what about-"

"Varian's okay..." Ulla said quietly "he was so desperate to help me get out, poor thing... he shouldn't have had so much on his shoulders..."

"Ulla-" Mom tried to speak up again

"He wouldn't have if it wasn't for you!" Ulla yelled she ran at her but i stopped her "Let me go!"

"Varian's strong but i'm not gonna take the risk of him not being strong enough to fight her" i said

"I'm not going to hurt a kid, Elizabeth" mom said.

"Then how do you plan to stop me from teaching you a lesson!?" Ulla asked her.

"I won't let it get to that" i said.

Though, Varian's still stronger than me, if only by a little bit, so it wasn't easy to hold him back, Hugo and Nuru stepped in to help and i went to stand between them and Mom

I put a hand on Varian's face "I know you can hear me Var, please fight her off..." i said.

He stopped trying to escape and looked up at me, his eyes were normal again.

"Varian?"

"Ellie.." he sounded tired, but he smiled before a scared look spread on his face and Ulla took control again.

"Stop it..." the echo was back and she did not sound happy "i don't want to harm any of you kids, so i suggest you all step aside"

"not gonna happen" i said

"then i guess i have no choice.."

a sudden blast of magic knocked us all away

"Wha- but.. Varian can't do magic.." i said.

"Maybe he can't but i can" she said.

was she floating?

she sent another wave at Mom and knocked her into the hole in the floor.

why did we not cover that up? the machine doesn't even work anymore.

Nuru and Yong were already looking through their bags for something to help

listen, my Mom has done alot that has upset me, but even after all that, i couldn't allow myself to just let her fall.

I ran over and grabbed her wrist

she seemed a little shocked

"hold on" i said.

I couldn't pull her up myself, i wold slip and fall in too.

suddenly another set of hands grabbed her other wrist, i looked over

Hugo?

"Need a hand?"

together we managed to pull her back up.

"thank you" she said

"Listen, this does not mean i forgive you for leaving" i said "i just couldn't allow myself to let you fall"

"i didn't leave" she said.

"Yes you did!"

"No, your father he-"

"Hey i know it's a serious moment but can we do this after we get the vengeful spirit out of here?" Hugo cut her off.

"Yeah" i said

there was suddenly another blast and mom went flying into the wall, scraping her arm on some fallen rubble

"Are you okay!?" Hugo asked her.

"I'm fine"

she's bleeding.

I grabbed a bandage from my bag as she allowed me to patch her up.

"Don't get the wrong idea, when we save Varian he'll pass out if he sees this, he can't stand the sight of blood"

"Is there anything we can use to at least calm her down!?"

then i remembered something

i reached into Varian's bag and pulled out a small device

i wound it up and a song started to play

a confused look spread on his face, even if technically, Ulla was the one reacting to it

"Remember this?" i asked, walking up to her as she lowered to the ground.

"Ellie, what are you doing?" Hugo asked.

"you'll see" i said.

"Where did you.." Ulla took the device from me.

"Varian made it, he said it was a reminder of you, do you recognize the song?" i asked.

she nodded with a small smile.

"It was so long ago, i didn't think he would remember something like that since he was so young"

"Oh, he's full of surprises" i said with a small awkward laugh "trust me"

"here i was, worrying back there that what Donella said was true, that he'd grown up and didn't need me anymore.."

"i said that?" mom asked.

Ulla gave a small nod.

"I didn't- oh it was probably that to much was going on at the time, i didn't mean that, i was just trying to prove a point to you"

"I was so desperate to not lose him again that i- i did terrible things... i-"

"it's okay..." i said "but can you please let him go now?"

"Yes, i will but.." she paused "once i do, i won't be able to stay long, so may i do something quickly?"

i nodded.

she went and got her old journal

"i won't be needing it anymore... so..." she removed a few pages with important notes on them before using a spell on the rest of the book

when the spell finished, it looked brand new and like it had never been used.

she pulled out a pen and wrote something on the first page before closing it and setting it down.

then, a blueish aura appeared and when it disappeared, Varian began to fall backwards.

"i got him!" Hugo barely managed to catch him.

"Give him a minute" Ulla said, now reformed as herself, mostly...