Chapter 13 - Grey Skies

Start from the beginning

When I got to my car, the first thing I noticed was the shiny new windows and dark, clean tires. Had Rowan paid for them? It also looked like it'd been washed, the dark green paint looked shinier than usual. I got in the driver's seat and looked around, dropping my school bag on the passenger side floor.

The broken glass had been vacuumed, and my gas tank was full. The last time I'd been in my car, I was driving around town applying to jobs... None of which had contacted me yet.

I sighed. I wish I hadn't thought of that. It'd only add fuel to my negativity. I could always get a temp job at City Hall, I did have a few connections.

I went to adjust the seat and saw something shiny gleam back at me from in between the lever and the door. I picked it up and stared at it, feeling my heart pound.

It's just a piece of glass Evan.

I released a breath and started the car. The rest of the glass was gone, thanks to Rowan. Rowan... I felt like I needed to thank him, but I didn't know how to reach out to him. What was I supposed to say after yesterday? Twelve years of my feelings slowly creeping up on me had only led to this biting feeling of rejection.

He kissed you first.

But then he left... Out of nowhere, without explaining anything. I was so unsure with myself after yesterday, my spirit had taken a deep dive and had yet to resurface.

Maybe you're not a good kisser.

I squeezed my hand trying to force myself to think of something else, but felt a sharp pain in my thumb, realizing the glass I'd picked up was still there. As I pulled up to a light, I saw a small trickle of blood running down my palm.

I rolled down the window and dropped it out, before looking around the car for something to wipe my hand on. I regretted my past self for the habit of keeping an empty, clean car. The only reason I kept it like that was so nobody'd have any urge to break in, looking for something to steal. Ironically, the glass had still gotten shattered...

A loud honk behind me made me jump— the light had turned, and I quickly stepped on the gas.

You're a mess.

I finally reached Eriks house and sent him a message. He came out a minute later looking disheveled as he zipped up his bag and hurried to my car.

"Hey, Evan." He said breathlessly, getting in. I started to drive off. "The car looks good."

"Yeah, Rowan got it fixed." I said, though he didn't seem surprised by this information. Of course he knew.

"What's wrong with your hand?" He asked, his voice a slightly higher pitch. I quickly wiped the blood away on my jeans.

"It's just my thumb. There was a piece of glass under the seat." There was silence in the car after that until we reached the parking garage at the college. I turned the engine off and reached to grab my bag from next to Eriks feet.

"Evan... Are you okay?" I paused and looked up at him, wondering if he knew... If Rowan had told him what'd happened yesterday.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I asked cautiously, but his expression didn't give anything away.

"You just look a little... Pale. Like you haven't slept or something." I shrugged,

"It's just my first time getting up early in a bit." Erik's tense expression relaxed.

"Oh, okay." He sounded convinced.

I put on the sunglasses and threw my hood back over my head, trying to cover as much of my face as possible.