Chapter 2:\\ First Acceptance

Start from the beginning

Obsessed or in love. I couldn't tell the difference. Either way, he seemed to enjoy the attention.

"What? Why?" That got Amy to frown, something I despised seeing. Aaron was halfway to the door. Tall, dark hair, light eyes, a smile that belonged on the cover of magazines. An object.

An object.

He was too beautiful to be real. I found myself staring at the scene, observing Aaron more than Amy. I considered asking him questions, getting to know him apart from the rumors. I decided against it. I decided not to involve myself with someone who could easily have my name circulating around the school.

I didn't want my name to be stomped on like a dead seed in the soil. I was jealous.

I realized. I was jealous that Amy was giving this stranger more affection and attention than me. I wanted Amy to tell me not to leave. I wanted her to ask me why I was suddenly leaving. I wanted her to beg me to stay and throw a tantrum because she cared about me that much. I shut my eyes, opening them only to meet the light-eyes of a sophomore in my living room.

"I should leave you and your sister, I've been taking up too much of your time lately." He said, talking to Amy, but looking at me. Considerate? Was the rumored evil man being kind and considerate? I eyed him suspiciously, wondering what game he was playing— what tricks he had up his fitted sleeve.

It was obvious that he was attractive. But considerate too... the bare minimum had me almost crushing on him too. Except that he was two years younger than me, I pushed away my thoughts. It was rare to find a kind guy nowadays.

"No," I was pulled out of my thoughts by Amy's sharp command, pleading with a man she couldn't separate herself from. I wondered if he'd magically forced her under a love spell, it seemed like the only logical explanation. I'd never seen Amy act like that before. I met eyes with him again as he quickly hid a smile.

He was enjoying this. He wanted my baby sister to beg for his attention, to beg for his affection. I'd always been told not to chase a man— he should come to me. To never let him see my weaknesses. I sighed, finally having had enough of the back and forth and I walked over to Amy and Aaron.

"Maybe you should stay." I said to Aaron, giving him a small smile as he furrowed his brows in confusion. I wondered what had been so awfully confusing, but I didn't want Amy to feel so defeated. It was a small sacrifice on my part— she could be happy, while I would be deflated but know that she was in good-ish hands. Non-virgin hands.

I wanted him to leave so I could talk to her about that. I wanted to know she was being safe, making sure that she didn't get pregnant. She was only fifteen, after all.

"Uh," Aaron said, his words stunted. I looked at him, wanting so badly to stop thinking about his appearance. I wanted to view him as a person, but it was incredibly hard to do that when he looked like he belonged on a throne. Gosh, I need to stop.

"Please stay Aaron." Amy said. It hurt my heart to see her like this. Begging for attention. Begging for affection. I wanted her to have a love that she didn't have to work for. I wondered if they loved each other. My mouth was shut and locked, the key was out of sight as I felt the gravity in the room pull me down.

My acceptance to Hinkley University had been overshadowed by Amy's desperation to keep a guy around. It made me angry. Angry toward Aaron for stealing my spotlight and my sister's attention.

I sighed, "Amy, I think my friend wanted to meet me for ice-cream." I lied, "I'll be in my room until he gets here." I said, trying to think of a friend who would want to get ice-cream with me this late at night.

Hugh. I realized as a devilish grin formed on my lips. He'd do anything for me, I knew this because that man was practically as obsessed with me as Amy currently was with Aaron.

"O... okay!" Amy said with a frown, "um, we should celebrate your acceptance sometime soon though! Just me and you— and Aaron. This weekend?" She said, her tone uncertain, sad, and shocked at the same time. I smiled at her, annoyed that she had mentioned Aaron, but I tried not to show my sadness. I tried not to show my desperation for attention.

I climbed up the stairs before I could hear what they'd said next, receiving a sympathetic look from Aaron. That had only made me angrier, he acted like he knew what I was feeling and what I was going through— even though he knew nothing. All I knew for certain was that I certainly was not going to celebrate my acceptance as Amy had put it, with a guy like Aaron. I didn't even know him and it bothered me that she was inviting him to my important milestones. And it bothered me even more that she knew that our time was limited. In under six months, I'd be off and across the state going to Hinkley University. It would be rare to spend time together, and yet she chose a guy— much less, a guy that she has two more years with— over me.

I tried not to stomp too loudly, I didn't want to have a childish tantrum, but I knew that that was all this was. It wasn't as much about Amy ignoring me as it was about not feeling accepted. I was being left out. I was being denied attention and affection and that really bothered me more than it should have. I felt like a third wheel when I wanted to be a part of the front two tires. I wanted to feel included and cared about, but instead, my one moment at shining was clouded by some random guy.

I wondered if Amy was just too immature. If she just didn't have the heart or the brain cells to look forward enough in the future— to realize I won't be there anymore and very soon. I had made it to the top of the staircase without breaking a sweat, so consumed by my thoughts that I could hardly remember having climbed up the stairs. Amy was all I had— didn't she realize that? Didn't she recognize how much I loved and cared about her, how much it hurt when she left me out to dry while she hung out with a man who would probably leave her for the next pretty girl.

I sighed deeply, but it did nothing to relieve the ache in my chest. Instead, I put my earbuds in, playing my rock-metal songs as I sent a text out to Hugh.

Ice cream? It read. It didn't take him longer than a couple seconds to respond.

I'll be at your place in five. He said. It kind of made me worried because Hugh definitely didn't live five minutes away. I wondered if he was just nearby— or if he was awaiting the moment I'd call upon him. I laughed at my thought, he certainly wouldn't stalk me like that, the world didn't revolve around me. I tossed my phone aside as I listened to the screams and loud drums through my eardrums, blocking out the unnecessary thoughts. I was not going mad, I was just hurt.

But Hugh would make me feel better.