CHAPTER •°• fourteen

Start from the beginning

"That doesn't mean anything." He shook his head, not knowing himself why he was even saying all that. Maybe he wanted to find himself a reason not to do that after all. The reason to put that away on later, the reason to just... stop for a second. "Besides, even if Remus is into boys there's no guarantee that he's into me." Sirius added and James rolled his eyes.

"Oh boy." He laughed. "If only you heard him talking you would..." James paused, his expression suddenly hesitant. Sirius frowned at him, confused, but before he got to figure out what was all that about, Potter finished. "...well, probably think that he's talking about a potato." He laughed again, this time nervously and scratched the back of his neck. 

"What?" Sirius shook his head. Potter was amazingly unhelpful that day. Maybe he had a brain seizure after the last Quidditch training.

Or maybe he was just so into Lily that his brain disappeared, Sirius couldn't tell.

"Well, he was talking about... uhm, someone. But it sounded like he meant a potato... I mean no the vegetable... is potato a vegetable?" James shook his head, suddenly looking dizzy instead of cocky. "Never mind. Anyway like he meant a thing so I said that he could mean a potato, because potato is a thing, but really I'm pretty sure he was talking about a person, a male person, but that could be a potato..." James suddenly stopped and frowned, looking like he didn't understand what he just said himself.

Sirius also didn't understand and besides they just stopped before the door to the library so it's not like there was any more time left to talk.

And it's not like he wanted to talk anymore. Cause James was being weird and all that he was doing was confusing Sirius even more, so he decided that it would be better if he went and started to confuse Evans instead.

"Great." Padfoot nodded finally at James who was awkwardly staring at the door. "Go get Evans and I'll think about your potato story." He declared.

For a moment James looked like he was going to say something else, but he finally didn't. Instead, he made finger guns at Sirius, smiled even more awkwardly than before and went into the library.

Meanwhile, Padfoot took a deep breath. He still didn't know what to do. After all, what if Remus wasn't into him? What if he was just going to make a fool out of himself?

What if Remus would get mad at him and tell Peter, and Peter would tell his new soulmate girlfriend, and she would tell the next person, and then suddenly the whole school would know.

And if the whole school would know Regulus also would know. And he wouldn't hesitate to write about it to their parents.

And if Sirius's parents would find out... well, it was enough to say that they already were on the verge of throwing him out of the house.

And as much as Black knew that James wouldn't hesitate to help him and that his parents also wouldn't hesitate to help him... it just wouldn't be the same. His mother might have been a bitch, but it was still his mother. Even if he told his friends how awful she was, he still loved her. He didn't want to lose his family, even if they were who they were.

So he stood under the entrance to the library for a longer moment, trying to make up his mind. Asking Remus out was a risk, but from the other side... James did act weird about it all. Was there a chance that he knew something about Remus's feelings? After all he knew what Sirius felt for Remus and he was winking at him weirdly when he was leaving the two of them alone...

Sirius sighed. It was worth a shot, right? He could do it.

Yes, he would do it. The odds were on his side and he wasn't a Gryffindor for nothing.