2. Goodbye, Purple People Eater

Looking at the guy in front of me, the only thing I had in my mind was Queen's lyrics replaying on a loop.

Is this the real life or is this just fantasy?

Gabriel looked equally perplexed, staring back at me as if I was a figment of his imagination. No one else made a move. I don't think anyone even knew what move to make. 

There were a few things we did know, however, so I tried to focus on those to clear my head.

For example, I knew with certainty that Gabriel had been a zombie just a few minutes ago. Everyone knew that, and according to the confused and dazed look on Gabriel's face, he knew it as well. I also knew that he was clearly human again, considering his hazel eyes and lack of cannibal instincts.

Another thing I knew, with absolute clarity, was that this one curiously strange situation was about to change everything we thought we knew so far.

"What the fuck is that?" Nate spoke first, his voice cracking in complete disgust. I cringed at his tone and his choice of words. He'd always had zero tact but this was next-level Douche Master stuff.

Gabriel visibly flinched, Nate's voice alerting him to the fact that I wasn't the only one there. His eyes finally darted to the people around me, the weapons in their hands, and he let out a choked gasp, trying to pull himself away before his right hand slipped on blood. He looked down at it, eyes wide and terrified.

I could see the realization dawn on him, when his unsteady left hand reached to his mouth, his nails scraping away at his face and coming off with more blood. Gabriel's body started shivering, head shaking in denial, but it was obvious he knew how that blood got there.

He remembered.

A second later, his back was turned to us and the contents of his stomach were introduced to the floor. Everyone took a generous step back. Well, everyone except for me. My eyes turned away, but it was like my legs wouldn't listen, my heart hammering rapidly in my chest.

He was back. Gabriel Hale was human. He was himself again.

But, could he ever be himself again really?

I stayed crouched in front of him and waited until there was nothing left for him to let out. His body still convulsed as if his mind just couldn't stop purging what he'd been through — as if it never would. Unsure of what to do, I patted his back a few times, and that made him turn back to face me.

I gasped when I took his face in. It wasn't the blood around his mouth, however, that shocked me. After all, I'd gotten used to that sight by now.

It was the tears streaming down his face. The look of fear, horror, and disgust that was so obvious in his eyes it made me flinch.

"What did you do, Ava?" Gabriel's strangled voice accused me, and he shook his head in alarm, as if he was trying to get stuff out of it. He sounded gruff and weak which made it clear he hadn't spoken in a while. How long had he spent as one of them? How many horrors were now ravaging his mind?

"I don't know. I-I don't know," I muttered, biting down on my lip before I looked at my friends, hoping they had an answer for me.

All of them stared back with conflicted, cautious eyes, as if I was some strange animal they had to keep an eye on. My chest tugged painfully, and I had to focus back on Gabriel to avoid the tears that almost clouded my eyes.

"A-Are you—" Okay? Human? Yourself? I had no idea what I actually wanted to ask — all of the above, and none of it at the same time.

The sound of things cluttering coming from the classrooms stopped me from finishing and we all turned our gaze in that direction.