Chapter 3: Crosswind

Okay so my son is in love with Breezepaw? And he didn't want to tell me about it? He told Hollyfrost and Hawkfeather not to tell me? Crosswind thought with a feeling of hurt. She watched as Hollyfrost took Shadowpaw outside the camp, then she saw Thunderstorm and Earthpoppy prepared for their departure to The Star Rock. She had already said goodbye to them and good luck to Cloudfog. Crosswind walked outside towards the Flower Meadow. She always went there as an apprentice with Thunderstorm. She remembered how she and him would always play around with each other, and how when they were just a day away, they pretended that they had kits and that they would bring them here and show them this place. They'd name them Willowkit after Willowdream or Dawnkit after the dawn light or Stonekit after Rockstone. Of course, they ended up naming them Pebblekit, Shadowkit, and Iriskit. Completely different, but whatever. Crosswind looked around the meadow and realized something. Something doesn't feel right. She felt unusually tired, even though she had a good night sleep next to Thunderstorm, and she felt dizzy, but she just shook it off. She turned around just as Forestshine and Cherryfang came through the opening in the barrier.

"Oh. Hi, Crosswind. Irispaw is very eager to learn and has already becoming a master at the hunting crouch," Forestshine meowed enthusiastically.

"She must get it from me. Shadowstrike always told me that I'm a good hunter because I'm so fast. So, what are you two doing here?" Crosswind asked suspiciously.

Cherryfang looked at Forestshine, who then looked at Crosswind. "I wanted to talk to Forestshine alone about something. But maybe I'll tell both of you," she took a deep breath. "I think I'm beginning to fall in love with Mooncross."

Oh, no. If I tell Hollyfrost this, she will be so mad and angry. This is why I can't tell her. But I have to, she is my friend! My most trusted friend. My best friend. Crosswind looked at Forestshine, then at Cherryfang. "But I thought you didn't like him in the first place."

"Listen Crosswind. I know that Hollyfrost likes Mooncross and I know how much drama it causes y'all, but you are not the only ones who have drama filled lives," Cherryfang snapped.

Crosswind just gazed at her for a moment with confusion and shock before she walked away towards camp. She saw birds fluttering as she went by in the branches above and wondered how they could be so free when she had to deal with cats like Cherryfang. At least she had one simple thing in her life: Thunderstorm and their kits.

*****

After Crosswind had some time to herself in the Flower Meadow, she decided to go back to camp and eat. She felt a monster-like hunger growling inside of her. The sun is just over head and I just ate this morning as I watched the Red Dusk. I guess I must not have eaten last night. Or maybe... No. Again? She laughed to herself, and pushed the thought away.

As she walked over to the fresh-kill pile, she spotted Hollyfrost laying next to another cat, sharing some fresh-kill. She looked closer. Mooncross... What is she doing with him? She wondered. She walked up slower, listening to their conversation.

"This is the tastiest vole I've had! Thank you, Mooncross," Hollyfrost swallowed a mouthful of vole and smiled at him with a certain look in her eyes. Love...? No, it can't be. She loves Hawkfeather. Where is Hawkfeather anyways?

Crosswind interrupted their conversation before Mooncross could answer. "Hey, Hollyfrost! Where's Hawkfeather?" Her voice made the two jump.

"Oh, uh, he's on a border patrol," Hollyfrost glanced awkwardly at Mooncross.

"Alright. Mind if I talk to you for a bit?"

"Sure," Hollyfrost pushed the rest of the vole to Mooncross and followed Crosswind behind some bushes where no one could hear.

"First of all, what are you doing with Mooncross?? I thought you were over him and that he was too heartbroken to even look at you."

"I'm not exactly over him, but that doesn't have to do with anything. And Mooncross quickly got over it. We're just friends now."

"You won't get jealous if someone else starts to like Mooncross? Like someone who Mooncross used to like?" Crosswind cautiously said.

"You mean...Cherryfang? She likes Mooncross now?" Crosswind could see the bleak expression on Hollyfrost's face. She looked over her shoulder back at Mooncross and saw a ginger cat standing over him as he finished the vole.

"There's Cherryfang now. I'm going to sneak up closer to hear what they're saying," Crosswind quickly hid behind a few boulders while Hollyfrost stayed in the bushes. She seemed to be concentrating on something...

"Hey, Mooncross, would you like to go on a walk with me? I need to tell you something," Cherryfang asked nervously.

Mooncross hesitated for a moment. An expression Crosswind couldn't read flashed in his eyes. "I already know what you're going to tell me. You waited too long; I'm already over you. I know who I'm meant to be with, but she has chosen another path. I'm sorry, Cherryfang, but I don't want to be with you anymore," Mooncross left his spot in the grass and padded over to the warriors' den, leaving Cherryfang speechless and heartbroken.

Hawkfeather came back from his patrol after Mooncross and Cherryfang had their argument. Crosswind skimmed her eyes around camp, looking for her own mate. She spotted Cloudfog and Thunderstorm speaking quietly in Cloudfog's den, behind the waterfall. They looked as if they were in mourning, but also confusion.

"Thunderstorm, is everything alright?" Crosswind asked with a worried voice.

"Its Reedpaw... Featherpool was just taking Reedpaw out to show her where Shadeclan's border is. Featherpool turned around just for a second because she spotted a mouse, but when she turned back around to Reedpaw, she was gone. She heard thrashing in the stream that borders the clan and muffled screeches. Before she could reach the sound, it faded off, and the water was calm. Featherpool peered over the water's edge and saw Reedpaw floating motionless in the water. Reedpaw's death wasn't caused from just falling into the water. It's not deep enough to not get out of. Something made her to drown. She said that after she saw Reedpaw dead in the water, she heard rustling in the bushes. It could have been anything."

Crosswind was speechless. But she had one person in mind who could have done this. Wolftail is murdering all of these innocent cats... Why?

"Where is Featherpool now?" she finally asked.

"Carrying Reedpaw's body back to camp with the help of Crowtalon."

Crosswind stepped outside of the den and spotted Wolftail creeping out of the camp exit. He's soaking...