Day 6 - Making Up

Dream's POV

Ink just doesn't understand, me and Palette have feelings that work much differently than his. He can't get it through his head that telling Palette that his crying is annoying won't make him stop any faster. I feel bad for Palette through all our fighting over stuff, he hates it when we fight, but here we are again, fighting over Ink's behaviour.

"Ink just listen to me, I need a way to calm myself down and that is just how I do it," I yelled at him, watching how he responded carefully and yet not careful enough.

"So screaming and crying is how you calm down, I've seen other things calm you down before that weren't so annoying. Like how you used to go into the bathroom and cut yourself," his words cut through me and I slapped him, not caring if it hurt him or not.

"Cutting made me worse Ink, I could have killed myself doing that," my thoughts were all messy and I had started crying, feeling completely exhausted by this fight.

"Dream, shut up. I don't want to listen to your dumb reasoning anymore," he started to walk away, not even caring that I was crying.

"You can't just run away from this problem, you need to get over the fact that we are different and can't be the same. Maybe drawing makes you feel better, but I need to cry to get out my feelings and you can't change the way I do things," without thinking I ran after him and grabbed his wrist, not letting him walk away like last time this happened.

"Mommy, Daddy, whay are you fighting again? I don't like it," Palette stood at the doorway to the living room and he was crying, so I let go of Ink to give him a hug.

"I'm sorry Pally, sometimes me and your dad just don't see eye to eye on things. We don't mean to make you upset when we do this stuff, but we'll stop, okay? Me and you can go out for a treat," he wiped at his tears and nodded a little.

"I want Daddy to come with too, I don't like it when we leave him behind," this might be harder than I thought it would be.

"Me and your dad need a little bit of time away from each other to cool off, I'm sorry Sweetheart. Maybe he can come with us some other time," Palette snuggled up against me and I felt tears soak into my shirt, I know he hates it when we refuse to talk to each other almost as much as he hates our fighting.

"B-but I want to be with Daddy too," his words were a little muffed by my shirt, but I could make them out.

"I um, will go talk to him and ask, is that okay with you? It might not work out though," he nodded again, more tears pouring down his face.

I walked over to where Ink had walked off to and saw him sitting on our bedroom floor, glaring at the bed. He probably is gonna be hostile and that will just start another fight if I'm not careful, but then Palette would show up crying again. Maybe I should just go back downstairs and tell Palette that Ink didn't want to go with us?

"What do you want, Dream? I thought you were busy with Palette," he startled me a little and I saw him just barely look in my direction.

"Palette wants you to come with us while I take him out for something to eat, just here to see if you'll actually go with us," he looked away from me again and I expected him to tell me to leave.

"Fine, but tonight I'm gonna sleep in the spare bedroom. I still don't really want to talk with you right now," guess this got us to the step of actually talking faster, Palette will be ecstatic.

We walked back to Palette in silence, he was sitting on the sofa with a small stuffed animal in his lap. His tears had stopped falling and he instead just seemed mildly worried, probably about Ink and me. He knows a lot for a child and I wish I could make him forget, he doesn't deserve to know about all this fighting at his age.

"Hey Pally, he agreed to come with us," Palette got so excited, he ran up to me and hugged my leg and then did the same to Ink, who just seemed annoyed by the action.

"Thank you," he smiled up at us and I picked him up to carry in my arms.

Palette ended dragging us around for at least an hour, I lost track of time at one point. I was just glad to see him happy, even if me and Ink haven't spoken to each other during this whole trip. When we headed out I only planned to get some ice cream, but Palette wanted a walk too.

It wasn't horrible being out, but going home was. Ink and I almost got into a fight again, however I tried to keep things calm so Palette wouldn't have to worry about us. We both sucked it up and hid our feelings for another day, no need to make Palette cry again. Acting like we like each other and as if we have made up can't be that hard.

-910 words

Hope you enjoyed

I'm switching the order of the prompts for this challenge so I can complete it in a better amount of time.