37 | amortentia

That next morning Hermione and I woke at nearly the same time, a bit anxious for the start of classes

That next morning Hermione and I woke at nearly the same time, a bit anxious for the start of classes. Harry and Ron were still fast asleep as we ventured to breakfast and described our schedules to one another. "Merlin Hermione you're booked!" I said glancing at her schedule.

"If I handled third year I can do this." I nodded at her statement. She was right, that year was quite insane. We continued talking about our first class of the day, Potions with Professor Slughorn as we packed our bags and headed to the classroom.

•••

As Slughorn begins class Hermione and I realize two certain boys are running a bit late. I glance over at Hermione, slightly annoyed. I lean closer and whisper, "How can they be late on the first day?" She shrugs her shoulders and shakes her head. About five minutes later the duo walked  into the room. Slughorn turned towards the two. "Ah Harry, my boy, I've been beginning to worry. You brought someone with us, I see."

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at Potions. A menace, actually so. I'm probably just gonna—" Horace cut him off. "Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out."

"I'm sorry, sir, I haven't actually got my book yet and nor does Ron." Harry spoke. My heart jumped at the sound of his voice.

"Not to worry, get what you want from the cupboard." Horace said as he turned back to face us. Now as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning.
Any ideas what these might be?" Hermione's hand raised to answer. "Yes, Miss...?"

"Granger, sir. That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that one, It's terribly tricky to make. This is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." Hermione pauses and walks towards it cautiously. "For example, I smell.. Freshly mown grass
and new parchment and.. Spearmint toothpaste." Although I could not read her face, I could read her body language.
M She quickly stepped back into her spot and I too could begin to smell the powerful potion. I started to inch closer as the other girls advanced upon the liquid. I could smell it from a distance, the scent filling my nose.

It smells of burning wood in a fireplace, a warm cozy feeling. The scent of warm butterbeer across my lips after a fresh glass, and the scent of slight cologne. It smelt refreshing and made me feel comfortable in someway. I was taken back at first by the last scent, immediately getting a bit flustered thinking everyone could smell the obvious. It was Harry's scent. I creep back into my spot by Hermione quickly.

"Now Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Slughorn capped the potion as Harry spoke. "Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one."

"Oh yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion, known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly known referred to as-"