two.

Part of Camila wondered if maybe her parents—her mother especially, would be able to tell she wasn't a virgin anymore. Maybe she looked different or acted different without even realizing it. That left her paranoid as she finished getting dressed for school and went downstairs, but nothing seemed different.

"Camila," Her mother dumped scrambled eggs onto her plate. "Do you have to drink that whole big cup?"

"I need the energy." Camila didn't look up from pouring her coffee. "You know I'm not a morning person."

"I still think you're too young for so much caffeine." She sighed.

"There's just as much sugar and junk in that." Camila looked over at the box of cereal her younger sister was eating from. Sofia pulled the box away defensively.

"That smells gross." Sofia wrinkled her nose at Camila's mug.

"But it tastes wonderful." Camila smiled. "You wanna try a sip?"

"Don't start her on that, Camila." Her mother sighed. Camila waited until her back was turned before passing the mug to her little sister. Sofia took a tiny sip before gagging and sticking her tongue out. Camila giggled and took her mug. "Camila—"

"Yes?" Camila tried to look innocent when her mother turned around.

"Finish breakfast and both of you get to the bus." She sighed.

"Yes, Mami." Camila quickly ate her eggs and downed the rest of her coffee, watching as Sofia finished her cereal and went let their dog, Thunder, lick the milk out of the bottom of her bowl.

"Bye, Mami."

Sofia grabbed her new book bag off the seat beside her while Camila grabbed the messenger back she'd sported since freshman year. It was scuffed, but well-loved. There were pins for various school events along the strap and a pig charm clipped onto the zipper. Shawn had given her that charm.

"Come on, Sofia." Camila grabbed her sister's hand and they crossed the street from their driveway.

"You don't have to do that anymore." Sofia pulled her hand out of Camila's. "I'm in fourth grade now, and that's practically middle school."

"Oh." Camila smiled in amusement. "Is it? I didn't realize. I'd never baby you, you know."

Sofia stood up straighter, reaching back and trying to straighten her frizzy braids as they approached the bus stop and Camila suddenly realized why her sister wanted to act more mature. The only other person at the bus stop was Aaliyah, Shawn's little sister. Sofia was a year younger than her, but always wanted to copy everything she did.

"Hi, Aaliyah." Camila said.

"Hey." Aaliyah seemed to be more interested in studying her new shoes. She was carrying her backpack with only one strap over her shoulder. Sofia subtly dropped one of the straps of her own backpack.

"Shawn didn't walk you out?" Camila asked.

"I'm in middle school. I don't need him to walk me to the bus."

"I don't need Camila to walk me to the bus either." Sofia said quickly. "She just has to ride the bus too, because our Papi takes the car to work."

"Actually, hopefully I won't have to ride at all." Camila pulled her phone out, and just as she suspected, there was already a text waiting for her, Shelby asking if she wanted a ride to school. Camila eagerly said yes, preferring rides with friends over the bus any day.

A few minutes later, Shelby's car pulled up just behind the bus. Camila watched Aaliyah and Sofia climb onto the bus, making sure her sister knew where to go before jogging over to Shelby's car and climbed in.