IV - the calm before the storm

Start from the beginning

"Fancy meeting you all here." The wizard began with a witty smile.

The bard sitting on his left scoffed as he put down the mandola he was holding. "Yes, yes very funny now let's get down to-"

The healer that sat across the bard kicked him under the table while smiling sweetly. "We are indeed happy that we could help." She giggled, looking at the wizard.

"This is really like the good old times, isn't it guys? To be honest, I am very excited for what awaits us!" Finally, the knight happily said.

"It really is dear." The wizard answered smiling as well. "Now for the business..." He looked sternly at the bard. "I have received a letter from the king himself. He is asking for our help. More specifically, we have to slay the dragon."

"Oh, this wasn't really what I expected..." The knight muttered, although kept the happy spirit.

"Question." The bard announced. "Enlighten me, why did we receive this commission. I mean, not to be controversial but doesn't the almighty king have a whole army?"

"Well...yes but..."

"But we are more qualified? Thanks for the compliment." The bard grinned.

"Oh don't be like that dear, as long as we all get out safely from this, we should be thankful for yet another adventure that we have brought upon ourselves." The healer said and smiled sweetly.

"Not we, the king-"

"Dear-"

"Understood. But what if we don't make it out alive?"

"We will."

"You can't be sure about-"

"Oh please, you guys." The knight looked sternly at the bard and healer. "I won't let any of you die, so maybe we should listen to what the wizard has to say, hm?"

"Thank you." The wizard noted. "Okay, so kill the dragon. That's about it."

"See guys? An easy task. Let's goooo!" The knight exclaimed while rising from her stool.

The other three sighed and followed the knight's actions.

The four friends left the tavern before the sun had set completely. The darkness had fallen upon them like a wave as they reached the entrance of the obscure forest they had to go through. The wind was like ice-cold hands that pushed against their faces, impairing their vision with every step they took, at the same time it slowed down the blood circulation in their limbs making the friends' bodies increasingly stiff."

"Hey Y/n!!! You said it wouldn't be a ghost story!!" A few children shouted in panic while accusingly pointing their fingers at the girl.

She chuckled. "This isn't a ghost story! I pinky-promise!" She smiled at the children reassuring them.

The girl then continued with her story.

"The moon started rising from the horizon. Like an enormous theatre-lamp, it illuminated the four figures like they were the main characters in a scenic work. It did not take long for the four friends to arrive at a big canyon, marking the end of the forest. The only way past that canyon was a thin rope bridge that swayed when mother earth decided to remind of their existence, by creating a bust of wind.

Gathering all the bravery and putting a militant attitude, the wizard put his right foot on the crossing that immediately rocked back and forth dangerously. Putting more pressure on the construction made the bridge crackle, reminding of wind chimes. With every step the wizard dared to take, the swaying and creaking increased almost like it was a living creature that was very enthusiastic about some company.