Miss Gold shut the side door then slipped into the passenger seat, and that's when I noticed Finn's short, squat driver behind the wheel.

"Cleigh's got the body," he told Miss Gold, "takin' it to Juhan."

"Thank you, Cuthbert," She inclined her head and gestured for him to start driving. I turned back to Becca who was waiting for an answer and nodded.

"Why are you here?" I asked. I wasn't trying to be unkind, but I couldn't imagine why Miss Gold brought her along.

"They said you might need me. You're hurt."

Miss Gold turned her head, "Four ribs are broken, three on the left and one on the right, and a few others have been cracked. His left lung was very nearly punctured and requires attention, and there is significant bruising."

"Oh no! Oh gosh, I'm so sorry," Becca said, eyes filling with tears. Her compassion was soothing, though I wasn't very receptive to it. Miss Gold gave her a meaningful look.

"You may attempt the spell."

"I don't—I can't. What if I mess up?" Becca replied, clearly worried.

"I thought you couldn't use the staff," I said.

"I got the growing spell to work like it's supposed to. Normally. Sort of. I wanted to tell you before, but I'm not very good. It keeps slipping. I can't make it stick."

"A small change is enough, Rebecca. You cannot mend the bone, but there is internal bleeding and it must be stopped."

Becca met Miss Gold's eyes for several seconds, then returned to mine, "Rachel got your message a while ago, but she was the only one. The fancy phone cover Meg gave her helped I think. We didn't have any way to get to you, so we called Finn, but something bad happened a couple nights ago, she wouldn't say what, but she's dealing with that, so she sent help instead of coming herself. Cuthbert showed up in the van and there was this giant black wolf. We were so worried, I—I'm sorry."

She caught herself, took a deep breath, and began again, "Miss Gold arrived a little after and we knew you and Gloria were hurt, so she said I might be able to help."

"Rebecca," Miss Gold scolded quietly, and Becca gripped the Fferyn tighter with both hands, her face uncertain. I encouraged her to get on with it, but I didn't really care. She closed her eyes and mumbled a few words. A tingling began in my gut. Muscles spasmed involuntarily, sending new pain like hot knives burrowing deep into my chest, but it faded quickly, yielding to a comfortable warmth and sudden weariness.

Becca sighed and sat back, "I can't do more than that."

"Thank you," I managed, hugging my chest to keep the agony from reaching my face. I felt no enthusiasm and little gratitude, only a dull ache where my heart should have been.

"Are we going back to the warehouse?" I asked Miss Gold.

"Not directly. You require further attention."

"Good," I said, my voice steadier than I felt. I wasn't ready to face anyone else. "What are you doing with Gloria's body?"

"It will be prepared and then left where she may be found in less suspicious circumstances. Her wounds must be healed while some tissue yet lives, and Juhan will make it appear as though her death came naturally."

"Peacefully," I said.

"Yes." I didn't know if she agreed, but she understood what I meant. Her parents should never have to think she died like she did.

"Miss Gold?"

She turned in her seat to show me I had her attention and waited for me to continue.

"My dad didn't kill her."