6. Not So Perfect Timing

Start from the beginning

I nodded, "Yeah, okay." I took a deep breath and then expelled it slowly. "I guess the sooner I get this over with, the better."

He nodded at me in encouragement, and then took my hand, pulling me to the couch I was previously sitting on and nudged me down, then he returned to where he sat, next to Milo.

"Pem, take as much time as you'd like, we're in no rush," Vance said.

"So...I don't know how much Jace has told you..." I started.

"Only that we know each other and your brother was my best friend growing up and that we were idiots who didn't treat you well," Jace cut in.

I nodded at him, "Okay," I swallowed around the hard lump in my throat. "Well...that's all well and true, but I get why you guys were nasty to me...to a certain extent...Jace, do they know about your past?" I questioned.

"Yep, they know the majority of it, just not that one part with you," he shrugged. "They're aware my family was piss poor and I had to do certain things to help them out," a sad smile fell on his face.

I turned my attention to everyone else, here goes nothing, "Okay, so I was kind of a dick of a kid, always butting into Felix, my brother, and Jace's business. I was sneaky and followed them everywhere, even when they they didn't know it. I get why they despised me, who wants their annoying kid brother, or their friend's kid brother hanging around and getting in the way? No one.

They thought they were being sneaky, but I knew what they were up to, I was little and I knew how to go unnoticed. I followed them into the gay clubs and then right back out into the alleyways that they were using for their business."

I swallowed, my head now hung low, "I saw what they did with those gross men and the exchange of money. I hated it! It made me sick to my stomach whenever they would go out for the night, but I couldn't help myself, I had to go and watch over them! What if something happened to them and they got hurt and needed help?"

My eyes flicked back up to Jace, "uhm..so one night they were doing their business as usual, and I thought that I was stealthily keeping an eye on them. But I guess I wasn't as hidden as I thought I was; this bear of a guy pulled me out of my hiding spot.

At first Felix and Jace tried to pull me away from the guy, but he wasn't letting go. He asked if I was for sale..."

I looked back down to the floor, "they said no...at first, but then I guess they thought that it would be a good idea. Felix asked how much the guy was willing to pay. The guy said $50 for a blowjob or $100 for sex..."

Tears weld up in my eyes as I tried to keep my voice steady, "let's just say, that was the night I lost my virginity."

I heard gasps throughout the room, but I didn't want their pity, it happened to me. Like it or not, it's the truth and I have to live with it.

I blinked back the tears and held my head up high, "Turns out, I was good at what I did...I was a hot commodity, Felix told me that he got rid of Jace because I was better at raking in the money. I was his money maker; he retired and took order's for me, like I was a fucking restaurant, $50 for a bj, $100 for a wam-bam-thank-you-ma'am; $200 for the night. I can remember one night where I made over $1000.

That's when I started abusing alcohol, pills came later...much later. Eventually, Felix found a boyfriend, who helped him on his feet. He's now married to to the guy. I was grateful for it, Felix no longer needed me. That's how I got out of it. I was saving up money, taking clients that Felix didn't know about. I ran away and found something I was better at, that's how I got into acting. A few years ago, I applied to college, took acting classes and landed a gig, it took off from there, and here I am. No one knows about my past. Please don't tell anyone!"