A New Beginning

"It's a boy!" The midwife beams, placing the tiny little bundle in Charity's arms. She looks down at him in awe, wanting to drink this moment in, this moment with her newborn son safe in her arms. His hazel eyes are more brilliant than she could have dreamed they would be, his hands more delicate. He feels so light, looks so perfect, and smells so divine. An indescribable scent of a perfect newborn. I am his protector for as long as I live, and my love for him will last a lifetime. "He is perfect," Adam whispers next to her. Stroking his son's little hand as one tear falls down his cheek, this is the single most happiest day of his life. Watching the love of his life give birth to their baby made him love her even more, something he never thought was possible. "We still haven't agreed on his middle name yet," Adam smiles, stroking Charity's hair. "John, after your grandfather. It's only fair," Charity replies, as she holds their son close to her chest. Adam nods, pursing his lips in thought. Their conversation promptly ends when Anna and Pale burst into the room. Both of them are in tears. "I am so proud of you," Pale sobs approaching the bed as he gazes at the blue bundle in Charity's arms. "It's a boy?" Anna gasps, joining Pale's side. "Yes," Adam nods, a very proud father. "Can I have a cuddle?" Pale asks, wiping his eyes. "Of course, grandad," Adam replies, making room for Pale to sit next to Charity on the bed. Still weak from the c-section, Charity just about manages to lift the baby high enough for Pale to gently take him off of her. "Hello son, do you know how lucky you are?" He whispers, giving him the most delicate kiss on his tiny forehead. Anna sits beside Pale and stares down, feeling so much love for her grandson. "Three grandsons!" She exclaims, smiling at both Adam and Charity. "Four grandsons," Pale smiles, correcting her. "Char and I were just saying that we think we've got a future cousin boyband on our hands. The Engle's answer to the Osmands or the Jackson 5," Adam chuckles, his heart full of so much love and happiness. "So, what is his name?" Pale asks, handing the baby over to Anna for a cuddle. Adam and Charity glance at each other with a knowing look. Since they found out they were expecting, they both agreed that if they had a boy, it would be an easy choice of a name. Charity's bottom lip trembles as her emotions get the better of her. "Your grandson is called, Robbie," she reveals, her eyes shimmering with tears. "Robbie," Pale stutters looking up at Charity in disbelief. Shaking his head, deeply touched by their name choice, he looks over at Anna who starts to cry again, "Baby Robbie," she sobs, holding him close. Pale leans over to Charity and kisses her on the cheek whilst shaking Adam's hand. "What's his middle name, have you two chosen?" Anna asks, trying to compose herself. Charity goes to reply but Adam takes her hand, stopping her in her tracks. "His full name is Robbie Ezra Holden," Adam beams proudly. Charity stares up at him unable to contain her astonishment. They had never discussed adding Ezra's name as a choice, part of her wants to protest it but now that he has said it, she knows that it has come from his heart. "That is beyond beautiful," Anna cries, holding her chest. "A beautiful name for a beautiful baby. Named after two of the greatest men I have ever known," Pale smiles, setting his hand on Charity's rubbing it softly. "I love you so much," Charity whispers into Adam's neck. "Not as much as I love you both," he replies, taking her other hand. Charity glances around the room, nearly every single person she loves and adores is right here in this moment. For her she has never felt anything like this before in her whole life.

*************

Two days later

Charity and baby Robbie are ready to return home to  begin the next chapter of their exciting new adventure. Her midwife Hannah assures her that the c-section scar will heal and advises no driving for the next six to eight weeks. Adam has made it perfectly clear to her that she is to remain rested at home, and he will do the bulk of what needs to be done until she is back to her usual self. "Thank you, Hannah," Charity smiles as she slowly gets ready to leave the hospital. "No problem at all. Go and enjoy your new little family," she replies in her Southern accent. Adam takes Robbie in his carrycot, balloons are attached to the side all gifted from Larry, Allan & Nicole and Cece & Barney. Charity is well aware that she is going to be in pain for quite a while, but all those stories about how you forget the pain once your baby is placed inside your arms is so true. Adam's phone rings and he picks it up, it's his dad Phil. He promises to visit him back in his hometown of Oklahoma as soon as Charity is up for it and gives assurances that he can always come and visit them all in New York. Charity walks along in silence staring at her beautiful newborn all snug and asleep in his carrycot. I am a mother, she tells herself, still struggling to accept this is real. He's my boy, my perfect little baby boy. As they finally reach the exit, Adam carries on ahead, lost in conversation with his father. Charity looks on at them both, the man that she loves and her little boy. Everything that she has ever longed and hoped for is here right in front of her. She glances down at her solitaire engagement ring and the excitement of their wedding in December comes to the forefront as she nearly trips over a loose slab. "Shit," she mutters, her stomach twinging. She starts shivering as the cool breeze of the late evening creeps up her neck. The night sky is glimmering with a brilliant dark blue color. As she looks up, she notices something. A single star is shining down so brightly, there are no others that can be seen up there. She smiles, her heart knowing exactly what that is. Like Ezra assured her, he would be the brightest star in the sky and he is. With every piece of her soul and heart, she knows he is in that place where we are all going to go to someday. But more than anything, she knows he is happy and finally at peace.

The End

Note from the author is on the next page.