With Every Goodbye There is a New Hello

A few months later

Charity glances around the empty living space. Everything has been boxed up or sold, the only thing left is an old television set that the landlord insisted he wanted to keep for himself. The last couple of months have been life changing for Charity, Adam, Larry and even her parents. After her performance Howard immediately promoted Adam to head of facilities, giving him a six-figure salary, company car and an apartment right in the centre of Times Square. His life changed in an instant from one song and one relationship. Things with Larry and Howard went from good to fantastic with them both moving in together into Howard's condo in upper Manhattan. The latter popped the question unexpectedly one night and they are due to be married in the summer. Anna moved back into her apartment with Pale and things are better than ever. She is responding well to her new treatment and Pale has learnt to be more attentive towards her. If anything Anna's absence had a lasting impact on him, the thought of losing her ever again was enough to keep him on the straight and narrow by kicking the alcohol addiction to the curb for the second and final time. Pale and Charity's songs both became instant hits with a new and upcoming singer called Tina Campbell. Since they became official, Charity and Adam started making plans to move in together. Realizing that she missed her family too much and the distance between them was unbearable, it was a no brainer for her. Howard offered her a job alongside Kevin O'Donnell where she writes the songs and they both go headhunting for new talent to sing them. Really and truly, life has never been better for them all.

Charity breathes in, absorbing all of the happy memories she had in this apartment with Ezra. She feels a presence in the room; she smiles as she turns to see her first love leant up against the hallway door.

"So, you're really going then?" Ezra smiles, his eyes twinkling, looking at the now sparse living room. He hasn't made himself aware to her for months now, allowing Charity to have the space with Adam that she needed. "Yeah, I'm on my way back to the big city. I never thought I would have ended up back there, but life has certainly taken a different turn," she smiles up at him.

"It sure has. I've come here to see you so I could say goodbye properly. You won't be seeing me again after today," he says, taking in every last second with her. Charity looks down, digging her nails into her palm. "I'm going to miss you, I don't think I will ever stop missing or loving you," she mumbles, her lips quivering as she looks back up into his warm brown eyes. "Is it too much to ask for a dance?" He sniggers, lifting her chin so their eyes meet. "Of course," she smiles, taking his hand and shoulder as they slowly sway. Their bodies are so close together, even after all this time, it still amazes Charity that this is possible and real. "Will you sing one final song for me?" He whispers, kissing her hair. Thinking of a song she started writing recently, she starts to sing it. "I've been losing grip, on sinking ships you showed up just in time. This love is good, this love is bad. This love is alive back from the dead, these hands had to let it go free, and this love came back to me. This love left a permanent mark, this love is glowing in the dark. These hands had to let it go free, and this love came back to me." She sings softly, forever grateful that she was able to have this time with him. He no longer feels warm like he usually does, his energy is fading and he feels icy cool. She knew that one day he would have to leave her permanently, never expecting it to hurt as much as when he first passed away. "I knew you were going to be a mom one day," he grins, placing his hand delicately on her growing baby bump. Just in time to feel it kick. "It's truly amazing. I never told you this, but it wasn't you with the problem, it was me. I'm the reason it took us so long to conceive, I had a low sperm count. I never told you because I was so scared I'd lose you." He says, smiling weakly as Charity places her hand over his. "I would never of left you. You were there from the beginning and I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you," she replies, her lips quivering. "I used to feel so angry because I knew that I wouldn't be the love of your life. But now I realise that you were the love of mine, I'll smile forever knowing that you loved me right up until the day I died and I will keep loving you for the rest of yours until the day when we are together again," he whispers, as he takes her into his arms. She knew that this day would come, but to know that she won't be able to see him like this anymore, it feels almost like he has died all over again.

"Where will you be?" She asks, as they break away from each other, tears forming in her eyes. He looks up considering this for a second and responds, "You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming? That's where I'll always love you. That's where I'll be waiting." She giggles at his Peter Pan reference, wiping the tears away. "When you look up, I will be the most brightest star in the sky, that's when you'll know that I'm happy and at peace," he says, kissing her gently on the forehead. "Thank you Ezra, you will always be the greatest love of my life," she stutters as she feels his presence slowing fading. "Please don't forget about me," she says as more tears stream from her eyes. "The memory of you will stay safe within my heart forever. I love you Charity," he places his hand on his heart giving her one last beaming smile as he slowly fades away leaving her all alone in their empty apartment. As utterly heart wrenching as this moment is, Charity knows that Ezra will be able to rest now. She has a brand new life out there and despite her sadness the excitement of what lies ahead outweighs the immense amount of sorrow in her heart.