Chapter Forty-Two - Draco

She pulls out a blank piece of parchment, dips her quill in some ink and motions for me to sit down next to her.

It's a way to communicate, she writes.

"Communicate with who? What are you communicating about? Why do you need a secretive way to communicate?" I ask her.

"If I tell you, you have to promise me that you won't tell Umbridge or anyone else," she whispers. I nod my head in agreement.

"Say it," she pushes me. "Fine, I won't tell anyone, not even Umbridge or my friends," I promise.

We're not learning how to defend ourselves properly in Defence Against the Dark Arts, so Hermione had the idea that Harry teach his own Defence Against the Dark Arts class. A bunch of us from Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff have been meeting once, sometimes twice a week to learn defensive spells.

"Wait, Potter's been giving defence lessons and the Ministry hasn't found out?" I ask, surprised by all this information. How did I not know there's a secret society?

We've been meeting in the Room of Requirement, she writes.

"You have to stop going," I say.

"What?" she asks, looking at me in shock.

"If Umbridge catches you, you'll be expelled," I explain.

"I'm not going to stop going to the one thing that will possibly be able to save me if Voldemort's Death Eaters come after me or my family," she says. I flinch at the sound of his name. My father only refers to him as The Dark Lord.

"Don't say his name," I say. "I'm not afraid of a name, Draco," she says.

"Fine, if you won't stop going to these lessons, then let me come with you. My father has influence at the Ministry and if we get caught then he can get everyone out of trouble," I offer.

"Are you out of your mind? If I bring you to the next lesson, people will know I told you, which I'm not supposed to do and everyone knows you and Harry don't get along and your father is in with the Minister of Magic. They'd kick us both out and then how am I supposed to learn to defend myself," she whisper yells.

"Okay, then, how about you teach me?" I suggest.

"I - what?" she asks, clearly confused.

"If you won't stop going, and who am I to stop you anyways, then after each lesson, you teach me what you learn. I have a right to learn how to defend myself too," I explain.

She contemplates this for a moment and then smiles, "Fine, you've got yourself a deal."