21. You're Not Safe

Start from the beginning

'I still cannot believe you own this.' I breathed out.

'It wasn't only me who built these businesses. Our relatives from the previous 4 generations played a significant part in strengthening this.' He explained elegantly folding the arms of his coat up.

'You still own this.' I reminded him of what I firstly said.

'I do.' He nodded just as the doors opened, welcoming into a clean white setting. It looked similar to a regular hospital, but the environment in this one felt different. There were no nurses running around like crazy, no coughing patients or eager guests. 

The only aspect that was relatively alike is the receptionist that is more plastic than the purified water dispenser. 

There was a smell of disinfectant lingering, not the nice kind that endured in the lobby, it was the kind that was strong enough to give you a headache. But as I stayed close to Vincent, the only smell that entered my nose was the expensive men's perfume that he wore.

There are no hand sanitizers on the walls, how they prevent the spread of germs here I don't know, perhaps they don't. From ahead come muffled voices, some angry, some placating. I bite down on my lip, this isn't going to be fun.

As we turned the corner, we saw two nurses arguing with each other. It looked like they were about to start a catfight. I saw my brother sigh, clearly frustrated as he stood there with his arms crossed, waiting for them to take notice of his presence. The red haired one turned first and widened her eyes. She discreetly pulled down her shirt to show even more of her cleavage, if it went down any further than she would be fully exposed. Vince was clearly paying no attention to her inappropriate clothing choice, instead he had a hard stare fixed onto her and the other woman who hiked up her skirt. A stare that would have sent me running for the hills, luckily his eyes were not set on me.

'Is there a justifiable reason as to why you are not doing what you are paid to do?' 

'Sorry sir.' The red hair spoke up, nudging the blonde one to speak up.

'Yeah sorry.' She uninterestedly apologized. She clearly doesn't value her job.

'I do not like your attitude.' Vincent paused as he dismissed the red head. 'Do you value your job?' He asked exactly what I was thinking.

'Of course I do sir.' She replied, looking a bit more serious.

'Then act like it.' He hissed as we walked past her. 

'I thought you didn't tolerate that type of behaviour.' I spoke up a few moments later as we came to an empty room.

'I don't.' He said, that's all he said, feeling no need to explain himself to me. 

For the first time in my life, I am going private. I expected to be eaten up by guilt, knowing how bad the other medical systems is. But being in this room is like walking into an expensive New York coffee shop. There are flowers, beautiful paintings, leather chairs and soft music. On the wall is a plasma screen and the bed looks so comfortable. Just one foot in the door and I'm as relaxed as I would be in a hotel. Apart for the fact that this is not a hotel, this is the dreaded place to come when you are hurt. 

'If someone touches me, I will break their arms.' I muttered more to myself as I sat on the edge of the bed. Vincent shot me a questioning glance, I'm sure he heard what I said. I turned away from his gaze and fiddled with the signet on my finger instead, it is like my safety charm, it's quite stupid how much I rely on this ring but it calms me. I feel naked without it.

'You have much trust in that ring.' Vincent said, still looking forward.

'It keeps me safe.' I mumbled, not really wanting my sophisticated brother to hear my childish antics.