"Take care of yourself out there, Mads," Zach started, a brow raised to portray sincerity. "There's some real freaks out in California." He gave a sideways glance in Jason's direction and Madeline smirked. She gave him a final pat on the arm before moving on.  

Jason was next, but he had his arms crossed over his chest and his head was resolutely turned up and away from Madeline. She stood in front of him patiently with a hand on her hips, but he wouldn't give in. 

"Jason?"

"No."

She laughed, "Stop being a baby."

"I'm not being a baby," He countered childishly. "I'm just not saying goodbye to you."

"Why not?"

"Because you're not leaving. Duh."

"Oh. Right," she responded. "Let me just go tell my parents I've reconsidered this whole college thing, so that I can stay here with you guys."

"That sounds lovely," Jason agreed quietly, bringing a hand up to his face. "I'll wait right here while you go do that."

Jason's hair had grown to be nearly the same length as Luna's. Zach didn't like it, Dylan didn't have opinion on it, and Luna and Maddie loved to mess with it. If Jason fell asleep, they would put his hair in elaborate braids or pigtails, most of which were poorly done because his hair still wasn't nearly long enough for the styles. Still, every once in a while, Jason would put his hair in a short ponytail or pull back some of it into a bun. He had spent most of his summer outside, and he was now far more tan than the rest of the group, and a small patch of freckles dotted his nose. 

When Jason finally turned to face Maddie, it was with glassy eyes and pouty lips. Madeline gave him a soft smile and pulled him into a hug, resting her face in the crook of his neck. His arms wrapped around her waist, tugging her in even closer. 

"Why do you have to be the first to leave?" He confided into her shoulder grumpily. "Why couldn't it be someone else? Like Dylan? I wouldn't mind if he were gone."

"You would be dead 100 times over if Dylan wasn't here to deal with your ass," Maddie responded, letting out a small chuckle.

"Whatever. I still wish you didn't have to go."

"I know, I'm sorry, J," she confided as she pulled away. "But we're going to be in the same state."

It wasn't surprising to anyone that Jason had decided to go to college back in his home state. He was a westerner, and a true Californian, through and through. Although he did his best to remain optimistic and positive, Jason always struggled with homesickness. Maddie could vividly remember the way Jason would smile from ear to ear anytime he would talk about waking up before school to go surfing with friends, or how at peace the world felt when he would watch the night sky from his board when the waters were calm. A lot of his family, including his father, lived in the area, too, which also had an impact on his decision. 

"Stanford is like a 12 hour drive from San Diego."

"We can meet halfway and rent a hotel for the weekend," Maddie continued. "We'll have a mimosa morning and a neapolitan ice cream night. Just like old times."

"Just like old times," Jason repeated with a roll of his eyes. 

Maddie sighed, "We'll all be back before you know it."

"You promise you'll be at Friendsgiving?" He asked, his tone conveying his skepticism. 

"I wouldn't miss it," she vowed. "You know I can't resist your mother's apple pie."